Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided while I’m renovating my truck I’ll go ahead and put a winch in the bumper. I’ve always wanted one and this truck is easy to do.
Started off pulling the bumper and measuring the frame rails. Then I fabbed up a 1/4” plate mount with some bracing
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Wire brushed it and shot on some paint on. Decided I needed to step up to a trail boss so might as well
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

My plastic skid plate was busted, so I bent up a new one from some aluminum I had. It’s flush to the winch plate now that it’s bolted all the way down.
Then mocked up an old winch so I could cut up the bumper where needed. The new one should be here next week and I’ll post some pics when it arrives.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Asphalt Automotive exterior

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle

Font Material property Brand Auto part Event

Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram Slope

More progress today. Winch mocked up and 25% overdrive pulley for the alternator. Should help keep up at idle since the winch draws 270amps at peak. I couldn’t find a pulley that matched our trucks specifically, so I found a pulley that matched all the specs of the stock pulley with a smaller diameter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
More progress today. Winch mocked up and 25% overdrive pulley for the alternator. Should help keep up at idle since the winch draws 270amps at peak. I couldn’t find a pulley that matched our trucks specifically, so I found a pulley that matched all the specs of the stock pulley with a smaller diameter.
Love that setup. How's that smaller alt pulley working out for you? Does it mess with or increase the idle/everyday voltage at all, or does the regulator keep it all in-check? I might be interested in going the same route because my 12k badlands winch pulls harddddd.

And did you use a brake or something to bend that aluminum for the skidplate? I've got a big piece of 3/16" sitting in my bedroom just waiting to be made into a skidplate but I keep putting it off because I don't have a brake or a way to weld aluminum 🤣

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No issues so far. It’s no difference than idleing your truck at 1,000rpm. Just increases the idle amperage not your max output or anything. Unfortunately I don’t have access to a brake, I clamped it to my big work table with angle iron across where I wanted the bend then I bounced on it until I got it where I needed lol. Ghetto but it works. Probably wouldn’t be able to do more than 45* angle or so that way with thick plate but it was enough for this project.
Also, map gas and aluminum brazing rods are awesome. I’ve made intake piping and bov mounts that way. Added tabs to radiators, etc.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also if that plate is too thick to bend, you can cut half way through, bend it, then braze the groove you made back together.
awesome, thanks. Yeah I've considered getting a cheap brazing setup for this. Dirtlifestyle Nate has a great video on how to do it for under $50 so that might be the move. I highly doubt I'd be able to bend 3/16" thick stuff by hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts