Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*DISCLAIMER*
I'm not discounting anyone or any 3rd party company who manufactures skid plates for the Canyon/Colorado/I-series trucks, nor am I fishing for information in order to make and subsequently sell my own skid plate.

Knowing full well that I do not own a 4wd truck, not am I planning on converting this existing truck to 4wd. Protection is protection and it's never a bad thing IMO, and with some of the shit I've seen and/or driven around and over on the highways of Mississippi, a little extra protection goes along way.

So on with my question.. my company manufactures stainless steel industrial-grade appliances for the government, hospitals, restaurants, prisons, school, etc. I have access scrap steel for pennies on the pound, as well as cutting and bending machines (as long as it's personal use). So I'm wanting to craft my own skid plate, nothing huge, nothing too heavy but if only to have SOMETHING between the underbelly and road debris. I like the simplistic design of the Skyjacker plate I found googling, nice and easy and trapazoidingly shaped.

What I'm wondering is if anyone here has made their own and possibly pics if they exist. I'm going for a light, easy to remove/install no more than 4 bolts. If this turns out well I'll move onto something to help protect the transmission pan.

Once again this is for my own personal use and before anyone suggests that buying one from Skidz or whoever else is a better idea: Yeah I know.. I'm just cheap and like doing shit myself wherever possible :D

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah sorry.. I literally just found out what that means but you beat me to the reply. Now I'm left wondering why I'd want a solid axle. Christ dude your making me really feel like a complete dumbshit.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless I'm way out in left field here.. the pics I've found of folks with SP's are all on 4x4's with swing arm front suspensions, akin to mine.

Like "legit randel"'s front end

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Wolf, I can't believe I never thought about you guys with lowered trucks. How hard is that to remove single-handedly? What gauge is that sheet?

From what I've found searching.. a solid front axle swap would be for 4x4's exclusively right?

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
guys, in his first post he says he does not want to convert to 4wd..so why would he want to do a sas?

At least that's what I gather from his post. Having said that he just needs to build a skid plate like the one wolf posted, or like one of these he posted. Not make one now, and then build another later or wait or any of that..Thinking it was just not clear enough...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry, when i hear someone say "i wanna go 4x4" i think of them putting a solid axle under there.

most wouldnt try to replicate the factory 4x4 without a frame swap.
Oh shit.. LOL sorry dude no I didn't say that I wanted to go 4x4.. but instead that I'm not planning on converting to a 4x4.

that statement was to help ward off the folks asking why I'd want a skid plate if Im not a 4x4 or lowered. :thumbup:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No worries kerad, shit happens, trust me. ;p

So yeah Wolfs plate looks good.. and like I said this isn't so I can hop rocks or tree stumps but to keep my tender underside safe.

Wolf, would you be willing to shoot me your dimensions?

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
Just make sure when you do this bro, that you make a hole to access your oil drain plug. Also if you have not done so yet, go ahead and change yoru trans fluid. Otherwise you will need to pull the damn skid plate when you do decide she needs it. And you damn sure don't wanna pull it everytime you need a oil change!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good call banditz.. yeah I had a '99 Bravada once that had a plastic "skid plate" but right in front it had a spring-loaded access door that swung in and upward allowing a hand to reach in and change the oil filter. I'm planning on designing something along the same lines as that as well as an opening for the drain plug. And yup.. changed tranny fluid this past weekend.

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
To me that would suck bad..Make's a ten minute job a 30 minute job..when a small hole or even door like teh OP wants would solve that issue entirely and still protect everything. IF i was wanting the MOST protection I could ever get, then yeah, i suppose a small cut out large enough for teh oil drain plug would not be ok..but for his purpose's..I am pretty sure a small hole would be a ok. Not to mention IF i had to go the full plate with no hole, would install one of those oil drain Tube's that you just release the nut and teh oil drains out of a tube so i didnt have to pull the dang plate..:shrug: but to each his own. I am just too damn lazy to make something that's easy become harder..even if it is only 4 bolts.

·
MTS Crew!
4,934 Posts

·
Member's Technical crew
12,060 Posts
First off the lowered skid plates are not that much got mine in this sale for $90 but I can understand wanting to make your own. And the sale is over now.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/supe...40699-tax-return-lowered-skid-plate-sale.html

Here is a how to for easy oil changes with a skid plate.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/supe...16589-how-install-engine-oil-drain-valve.html

Do you have TB suspension or Coils?
Yepper's, that is the tube deal i was refferring to. But to me, why pay $40 for that when a small hole would do just fine. The Engine CM is right there to support the plate, so unless you REALLY smacked something you would not even have a chance of getting past the plate and damaging the oil pan.

But hey, that's all imo. And OP, the stock plates from GM themselves have the hole cut out. I use mine off road, never had a single issue with it :shrug:

Good luck on whatever ya decide to do.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.