Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Where should the LED's be?

• Fill holes with a led in a clear cylinder of some sort

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Insert Leds downward or facing bucket as an entrance light.

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • other-explain to @ivan29

Votes: 4 12.1%
1 - 20 of 662 Posts

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So some of you on Instagram have seen my posts, and I've had a section in the CM for a week or so going on these new ideas... However it seems everyday, a new idea pops in my head, the possibilities, ideas, and colors seem endless..I am looking for feedback though before I really jump into some ideas.

....so here we go,

Below is a a weeks time of molding and testing new materials

these are the things I am working on now.
-colored reflectors, along with clear,smoked - here
-Gauge Needles - here
-Chevy emblem
-dome light lens (colored)
-Puddle lights for Side mirrors
-marble effect on gauge face plate
SSK knobs - here

Products...

Ignite series fluorescent colors

Metal powders....
Nickel Silver

Aluminum

Here is where I need thoughts/opinions..

Knobs..with..or without the white insert..

With insert..(nickel silver metal)

Stock knob (middle) without insert

Ideas on mirrors

Pouring shots.

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: Dream Kasting Moulds -Ideas-

Messing with the new Ignite series green, trying to get the color down for Tim, and this is a test for the new dome light lens color as well, to see what i need for color added.

left side is first run, right drl is double, I think maybe 1 or 2 more drops, will be a perfect green:boobies:

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

So this is what I have working on so far, new mold for reflectors,..knobs, dome light,

waiting on colorado gage needles, and If anyone has a extra chevy emblem not using, let me know, I busted the one Chaz gave me :gd:

most likely will rip out my cluster next week to mold that bezel part. :naughty:

·
Registered
837 Posts

I think I may have a Chevy logo laying around somewhere that your welcome to have if I find it.

I'd definitely be interested in a set of gage needles :D

·
Registered
2,959 Posts

Bud...

I've had a sorta intense day and I've gotten a little drunky-poo as a result, but...

Can you help me out here please?
You know prototyping and mold-making.... I get that.
And I've got massive respect for those skills.

But what the hell was your post about exactly?

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I think I may have a Chevy logo laying around somewhere that your welcome to have if I find it.

I'd definitely be interested in a set of gage needles :D
Cool just shoot me a PM, if you can find it. :thumbup:

Bud...

I've had a sorta intense day and I've gotten a little drunky-poo as a result, but...

Can you help me out here please?
You know prototyping and mold-making.... I get that.
And I've got massive respect for those skills.

But what the hell was your post about exactly?

Haha Thank you...

I guess I did just toss in a weeks worth of updates in one post :gd:...sorry about that...Ill fix the OP

To answer your question, Basically I am looking for feedback, and even other ideas besides the things I am molding now, somebody may see something that can be incorporated, :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

Interested to see how all of this turns out.
I NEED those hvac controls haha

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Ok ..This is where I need some opinions....to mold the entire thing..so it's solid...or pull the white piece out..and I can show you how to re use yours...see pics below

(Left to right)
Nickel silver.......oem......nickel silver with 2 drops black and one white

Personally..I'm really happy with this color

This was sprayed with a coat of clear. (Which all will get )

Stock vs. Metal powder weight diff.

Once I get a general idea of which way to go...I'll make a new mold with all 3 hvac knobs..2 buttons..and the headlight switch
|mobile|

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Had to do a test today...my concern was the fill point..As there is a tab on each corner..

This mold was not post cured...nor was this test either.. Decided a test would be better first..so if I need to choose a new fill point..i can make a new mold before the weekend..

Minus the curing ..it seems like it may be ok..I'm going to test fit it into the spare housing later..to see if you can see where the fill point was.
:salute:

|mobile|

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Looks like the fill point will be ok

Also ordered some aluminum metal powder for the knobs..by adding some black shoe polish and then wiping clean before they are sprayed with a clear will add some definition if desired

|mobile|

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

Looks like the fill point will be ok

Also ordered some aluminum metal powder for the knobs..by adding some black shoe polish and then wiping clean before they are sprayed with a clear will add some definition if desired

|mobile|
That looks great! I wonder how green the light would be with white leds or a normal bulb behind it.

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

That looks great! I wonder how green the light would be with white leds or a normal bulb behind it.
Thanks .can't wait to get one fully cured.

From smooth on.
The fluorescent or "glow" effect is maximized under ultra-violet light or "black light."

I'll be sending down a green one to @Supermodulation next weekend..maybe he can try out some ultra violet LEDS.

I will hook this one up to a battery tonight to see what the stock bulb does.

|mobile|

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Headlights lost some material as you can see on the table..going to grab some eye droppers tomorrow..so I can get the exact amount of colors used and needed...mainly for the dome light ..should have more by the weekend

|mobile|

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

The blue and green are the ignite series...The red is the regular dye series..may just use the green only from the ignite.

Got the aluminum metal powder in...looks better...Unfortunately I have to make a new molds..As I poured it wrong :gd: hoping to have those done again by the weekend

Also still looking for a set of oem needles and a chevy emblem. PM if you have something. :salute:

|mobile|

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts

Dude, these are awesome!!

I would keep those knobs solid, take the white out completely so that you don't have to reuse them, but that's just me.

If you need an extra cluster let me know, I have one sitting in my garage.

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Looks good man!
Thanks!

Dude, these are awesome!!

I would keep those knobs solid, take the white out completely so that you don't have to reuse them, but that's just me.

If you need an extra cluster let me know, I have one sitting in my garage.

Somehow I got the wrong pic in there ...This is the one that should have posted

As for the knobs..I kinda have to go the open way for two reasons...first is that the white strip is just barely below the black on the knob..so when solid..it looks like ass..second..it gives the option..If you are careful enough..you can reuse your white strip and insert it back in...sounds :naughty:

|mobile|

1 - 20 of 662 Posts