Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three inch torsion keys and lift shackles in the rear. I have the rancho shocks for a 2" lift (5000 series?). They are supposed to be good for a two inch lift. Do I need shock extensions? Does anyone make shock extensions for the front?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have three inch torsion keys and lift shackles in the rear. I have the rancho shocks for a 2" lift (5000 series?). They are supposed to be good for a two inch lift. Do I need shock extensions? Does anyone make shock extensions for the front?
The Rancho shocks I have are for 2" lift as well. They say on the directions or something somewhere they are not for use with aftermarket shock spacers.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
don't really need extentions or longer shocks. you are not changing the length of travel.

*edit* this refers to the front IFS with just a crank of the keys

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
correct. my bad. I was referring to the front.

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
the BullMaxx bar is from SuspensionMaxx, a site sponsor of this site

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
yea.. he did also mention rear shackles too, tho :shrug:

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
Just an FYI you shocks max before full droop, hang the front suspension and try to pull out the bolt on the lca that holds the shock. Shock extenders are a waste of money though as long as the hardware store sells washers, stack some on the shock stud before it goes in the top mount, instant and cheap extra down travel. I had about 1/2" on mine when I was running a heavy crank

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
don't really need extentions or longer shocks. you are not changing the length of travel.

*edit* this refers to the front IFS with just a crank of the keys
this, is not entirely true! You may not be changing the length of travel on the front suspension... but stock shocks do limit the downtravel on the stock suspension, and running over extended shocks on a cranked truck Will give you a harsher ride..

·
Dont let the Nation die
15,947 Posts
valid points

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
yeah, I added a 1/2 inch of washers to mine and it sure seems to not bottom out as quick. without a doubt it helps the ride over a rough road.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
All valid points. I have the Suspension maxx keys, which come with a bump stop, that stops the upper control arms downward travel, to limit down travel by one inch, which helps avoid binding the ball joints and over extending the shocks. The kit comes with front shock extenders, but the threads on them are different from my shocks threads. I did not use them for that reason. So far, in a year of driving on my set up, no issues from the front shocks. I did use the rear extenders. I do not know this, but, Larry might sell just the bump stops for the upper control arms seperately if you call him. Just a thought.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All valid points. I have the Suspension maxx keys, which come with a bump stop, that stops the upper control arms downward travel, to limit down travel by one inch, which helps avoid binding the ball joints and over extending the shocks. The kit comes with front shock extenders, but the threads on them are different from my shocks threads. I did not use them for that reason. So far, in a year of driving on my set up, no issues from the front shocks. I did use the rear extenders. I do not know this, but, Larry might sell just the bump stops for the upper control arms seperately if you call him. Just a thought.
I did call Larry and he does sell all the parts separately. I'll be buying the bank joint space and small bump stops and the differential do. Thank you all for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Did you mean that you want to purchase ball joint spacers, UCA bump stops and differential spacers?

Since your phone cut off a bunch of words I want to be sure you know what your after.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts