Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an 05 LS 4x4 and was wondering if there is a way to tell if the cylinder head was replaced by the previous owner. Any numbers or markings I can look for?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I personally do not know if there are makings to identify the swap.

But, a GM dealership can tell you when they run your VIN number. That is, as long as the head was replaced by GM under warranty. If the person did the head outside of GM, I don't know that there would be record of that.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Most (well mine) will give you a carfax check out your paperwork and see if your did, if the head was replaced under warranty it would be in there, other than that visually inspect the head bolts most of time you can see marks on the bolt head where it was removed and reinstalled

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
You need more periods! It took a few reads to make sense. LOL

I don't remember, are head bolts meant to be replaced when the head is replaced on these engines?

And, you can't exactly see the head bolts unless you tear down the top end.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I prefer a comma rather than a peiod, not correct punctuation but never had to use one working on my truck, even if most of the bolts are hard to see the timing cover plastic piece is up front and easy to see

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
That doesn't make any sense whatsoever! (comma's vs. periods). And there weren't even enough commas by that logic. I'm cracking up.

As for the head bolts, how are head bolts and a front cover even related?

Have engines totally changed and heads are now bolted on from the front?

One of us must be incorrectly referring to the bolts.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Glad i could make you laugh, but if you can figure out how to get the engine head off without taking off the plastic timing cover id be interested. One of us is incorrect, im talking about a easy way to tell if the head has been changed

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
maybe the GM Rep that's on our website could find out for you
using your vin #

1 - 8 of 8 Posts