Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 colorado z71 4 door. Has been a great truck and very reliable.

Do you think that this would make a good platform for an overland vehicle? The only thing that worries me is the front end. I would be running 32-33 inch tires, 1.5-3 inch body lift to maintain factory geometry, and a front locker. The aftermarket support is pretty limited so the locker would either be an arb or an eaton from a hummer.

I know not to run the locker all the time since I probably have an aluminum front housing, but for tires this small and minimal lift I would almost say a front select able is a must.

Is the torsion bar suspension really all that reliable? I will not be hardcore beating on it but reliability is a must. I know that asking a Colorado forum if a Colorado is a good vehicle platform is not the greatest idea due to possible bias, but if anybody knows the Colorados capabilities it would be this crowd.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy hell. Haha not interested in a full blown axle swap. A sweet truck for sure though. I wanted to keep mine pretty close to stock suspension wise. Really worried about the front end though.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Holy hell. Haha not interested in a full blown axle swap. A sweet truck for sure though. I wanted to keep mine pretty close to stock suspension wise. Really worried about the front end though.

Shane ran his a long time with the stock front axle. His main problem was breaking steering racks. I think he replaced the rack 3 times (one was under warranty......lol). The mounting tabs aren't the strongest.

I've ridden with Shane......these trucks will take a tremendous amount of.............off-roading! :lmaop:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So really besides that rack the front differential and axle shafts hold up well?

Just asking because the only other ifs 4x4 I have had was a chevy 1500 and I will never do that again. I would break things constantly until I blew up the tcase this winter. Although I figured the colorado was much stouter and since I will be running a 10.5 tire I should be fine.

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
Look at nmatcek http://www.355nation.net/forum/members/2648-nmatcek.html he probably does the most over landing with his and look on expedition portal in the gm full size section and there is a sticky at the top of that section for mid sizes and there's a few colorados in there . There's a few others on here also but I can't remember there screen names off hand but yes the Colorado can be a very good platform to build as an overland truck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great to know. The only thing that I was having a big "problem" with was that front differential. An aluminum housing could be iffy. Too bad the colorados never had them.

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
The front aluminum housing became an issue for the h3s when they put the locker in them before that there were really no issues so as long as you don't put a locker in your front diff you should be just fine unless you smack it on something but if you get the rancho 4" is has a decent steel skid plate to help protect the diff

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts
Yes the steering rack mounts would be a good investment also and if you don't crank your bars to high than the cv coins should last fine and IMO the rancho 4" puts the front drive shaft on a better angle than the skyjacker as I have seen tons of guys with skyjackers blowing the front drive shaft cv but none on the rancho just my observation but both got the extra hight and both work just my opinion ;)

·
Premium Member
10,390 Posts

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Carry extra tie rods, and drive smart. I haven't broken much in the woods, just a handful of tie rods and then some cv's because I shredded the boots from either debris or flexing the front too much with the wheel turned. Also crank the shit out of the mounting bolts for the UCA, I've made those slip a few times and obviously throws the alignment way out so the ride home isn't too fun.

If you are a smart wheeler and take it slow it would be hard to break anything serious. Most the guys who break shit including myself do stupid crap our truck isn't meant to withstand.

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
onelow1ton;3096753blowing the front drive shaft cv [/QUOTE said:
Fuck those. :lol: I have 3 of the bearings from it sitting on my desk. The other 3 are with a buddy who helped me get it off. The rest of it is in my truck bed.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Yes the steering rack mounts would be a good investment also and if you don't crank your bars to high than the cv coins should last fine and IMO the rancho 4" puts the front drive shaft on a better angle than the skyjacker as I have seen tons of guys with skyjackers blowing the front drive shaft cv but none on the rancho just my observation but both got the extra hight and both work just my opinion ;)
I think that depends more on the situation you put the truck in. I have 90K on mine 3/4's of that with a 4" skyjacker and 1" additional diff drop and absolutely no issues with it.

I guess a lot of guys instantly use 4x4 when they touch dirt as well, I ride 2wd until I get stuck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This helps a lot thanks for the advice.

I think I will still go with a 3 inch body lift over the 4 inch suspension on 33 inch tires at 10.5 wide

Also I really wanted to get that front diff lock, especially with only a g80 in the rear. I would only use that as a last case scenario when I am really stuck and keep my wheels straight. Still a bad idea?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
IMHO the body lift is useless on these trucks. Messes up the center of gravity, strains all of the body mounts, allows more water into places to rust, doesn't gain you any tire clearance because of the body mounts, and you lose most the functionality of your bumpers if you relocate them or a stupid ass body gap if you don't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But as long as the recovery points are not moved with the bumper they should be fine, right? I would do a small body lift just to clear a 32. I will not crank the TB at all, learned my lesson on my old k1500. And do not need a full blown 4 inch since I want 32s to maintain a good reliability with front end parts.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Should fit 32s just fine.

Also a locker in the aluminum front diff is a bad idea. It just can't handle it. It is the reason the H3s with a front locker switched to the cast iron fron diff.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
But as long as the recovery points are not moved with the bumper they should be fine, right? I would do a small body lift just to clear a 32. I will not crank the TB at all, learned my lesson on my old k1500. And do not need a full blown 4 inch since I want 32s to maintain a good reliability with front end parts.
The recovery points stay on the frame, but the bumper will need to be cutout to have proper access to them. There is still a body mount in the way regardless if you body lift or not. Go out and look inside the fender behind the tire, that big bulky black thing sticking out under there is the body mount.

here's what I'm talking about

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ah yes I see that. Thanks for showing me that I would not have known.

Too bad we cant lock the front. Takes a massive hit at the capabilities. I might have to run 33s in that case to keep a little confidence.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts