Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I used to add a plug to the pans. Now I just buy a new pan online for around $30 that has a plug already. I drop the pan and change filter and fluid. Then I also disconnect at the cooler and pump out some more fluid. Usually changing 7-9 quarts at a time. I’ve never had an issue. Been doing g that for years. I usually add an external
Filter as well and do a regular pan drain and external filter change yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Is there a specific place on the pan of a 4l60e to install a drain plug?
Search , 06canyondriver / transmission drain plug , for info on this as he has done this mod and knows what to do . Or you might PM him .That picture is where he added a drain plug to his pan . You need to make sure the plug doesn't interfere with the filter .

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I used to add a plug to the pans. Now I just buy a new pan online for around $30 that has a plug already. I drop the pan and change filter and fluid. Then I also disconnect at the cooler and pump out some more fluid. Usually changing 7-9 quarts at a time. I’ve never had an issue. Been doing g that for years. I usually add an external
Filter as well and do a regular pan drain and external filter change yearly.

Is there a replacement pan available for 4x4 with a drain plug?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have not found one with a drain. Most of the drain kit's available only require a hole be drilled and the drain simply bolted onto the pan. Sure these bolt-in drains can not drain the entire pan because they are bolt-in, but it is far better than pulling the pan full of dex6.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is there a replacement pan available for 4x4 with a drain plug?
I have not found one , and I sure did a lot of searching. If you want one , and having one would really be useful , you have to make one . The parts aftermarket missed the boat on what would be a high demand item .

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I think I will just stick with my suction gun technique to remove the fluid thru the dipstick tube to have a less of a mess to drop the pan. Having a drain plug would just make it too easy to just drain and fill with not changing the filter anyway. With a fluid change the filter should be changed as well.

My 99' S10 4x4 4l60e went over 200k miles with frequent changes this way without any issues. Did lots of hauling and towing too including my boat which weighed in over 3k lbs.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Well i take it back on using a suction gun. I tried to use that technique and either my gun isnt working anymore or dipstick tube is too long. Had to drop a full pan of fluid which wasn't too messy i just went slow and let it drain slowly loosening the bolts little at a time.

I also decided to install a drain in the factory pan.
20200717_162924.jpg
20200718_073631.jpg
20200717_170641.jpg
20200717_170703.jpg

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice work , thanks for posting back with pictures . Is your truck a 4 X 4 and what brand drain plug kit did you use ? And most importantly , how was the pizza ? LOL . :giggle:

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Yeah 4x4. Plug is a dorman transmission drain plug from Advance Auto. Ratings for it arent the best in saying it leaks but im thinking they didnt use teflon tape and probable over tightened the plug and tore the o ring.

Funny on the pizza boxes. I had stupidly got rid of all my cardboard boxes in recycling and pizza boxes arent recyclable due to the grease so they were going in the trash anyways and thats what i had to work with.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I’ve used the drain plug install kits in the past. I’ve found that using copper washers will ensure it doesn’t seep fluid. I also disconnect the trans line at the bottom radiator and let the transmission pump out some fluid just till you start seeing air then shut it off. Let’s me change about 8-9 quarts instead of 4. Then I do regular fluid drains at the pain only. Like yearly. I usually install a remote filter kit and never drop the pan again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well i take it back on using a suction gun. I tried to use that technique and either my gun isnt working anymore or dipstick tube is too long.
I found that you need to use a fairly small dia tube, I used an 1/8" id poly tube/hose used for installing water lines to a refridgerator , worked like a champ but due to the smaller id it does take a little longer.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I’ve used the drain plug install kits in the past. I’ve found that using copper washers will ensure it doesn’t seep fluid. I also disconnect the trans line at the bottom radiator and let the transmission pump out some fluid just till you start seeing air then shut it off. Let’s me change about 8-9 quarts instead of 4. Then I do regular fluid drains at the pain only. Like yearly. I usually install a remote filter kit and never drop the pan again.

Im willing to try the nylon washers. Im not sure on the line removal method to change the fluid. Running the pump dry, when you see air seems like a bad idea.

Do you gut a oem filter/pickup tube since you never drop the pan again. Id think the filter/pickup tube would clog evently since that would be before an external filter.

With the pan drop i got a good 5 quarts of fluid out not counting what didnt catch in the pan.

·
Registered
119 Posts
With pulling the fluid out thru the dip stick, the best you can get out is 3quarts. The pan step blocks any tube you can get down the filler tube from reaching the bottom of the lowest part of the pan.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Since your truck is a 4 x 4 did you have to disconnect the front drive shaft to get clearance to the pan bolts to drop the pan ? I hear so many different answers it has become confusing on what is factual or not . How did you go about it ?
Plug it is for me.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
I disconnected the shaft on the transfer case end and pushed it over and up to make clearance. The bracket for the shift cable was the only tricky part. I left the bracket on and just worked pan around it. Not a big deal. I loosened front bolts first and let drain from front of pan since my truck was backed into the driveway and front was lower than the rear. I raised my truck using 4 rhino ramps and it worked great. You can do that with a 4x4 using 4lo and going slow.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Heres some pics of the front drive shaft and pan
Shaft connected
20200720_180006.jpg

Shaft disconnected at the transfer case end
20200720_175319.jpg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well it has been 2weeks and I have been siphoning 2 quarts out twice a week, so far 8quarts removed and replaced. I will change the filter and drain/clean the pan monday/tuesday morning. So far so good, each time I have done a siphon and replace, the transmission seems a bit smoother(could be happy thoughts though, lol)

I suppose you could make a direct comparison to your own body getting a pint or two of blood vrs a complete change(potentially lethal), lol,lol,lol

21 - 40 of 44 Posts