Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck into the shop cause I get a really bad vibration from a stop to descent accel. I figured it could be a motor mount or something. Turns out it's a severely worn driveline support bearing they say. I would much rather spend that money on something else or not spend it at all but it needs to be done cause I've been driving like this for a while just didn't know what it was. It doesn't sound easy but has anyone else experienced this issue with their rado and what's the change like. Can I take it to a buddies house to change myself or just let the shop do it. I'm semi mechanically inclined. Intakes, pretty good at changing light bulbs lol and did my shackles

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
The carrier bearing is a pretty straight forward install.

I'd recommend doing the U Joints while you have the driveshaft out

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys considering time and lack of space to work I'm probably better off following this repair through with the shop. One day I'll have house with a garage I can work on shit when I want. That how to looks pretty involved too. That'll take me time for sure. I would do it and take double the time just making sure all the shits in order lol.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
With a lifted truck you have plenty of room to do it

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
It's not real hard. The toughest part is removing and re installing the actual bearing. Air tools speed up the process and a puller makes removing the bearing easier

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
Yea I didn't have a puller to do mine so I had to do some engineering to get it off. But it's really not too bad.
Also like Jeremy said having a lifted truck makes it easier too. I relocated mine for the lift but you won't have to

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you gentlemen for your help with this issue. I'll find out more from the folks next week when the parts get in.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The carrier bearing is a pretty straight forward install.

I'd recommend doing the U Joints while you have the driveshaft out
Hey man I tried to do a search in different variations and came up empty but why would I want to change out my ujoints? Is it inevitable that they'll break or fuck up or is there a good aftermarket. If you could decipher that for me I'd appreciate it. Shop should be calling in the next couple days with the parts to hook up me truck. I'm sure I would be able to stop by a parts store to get some ujoints for a descent deal.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Mine went at about 90K.
It's one of those things that begins to cause vibration and noise so gradually that you don't really notice it until it gets so bad that you go "WTF"?
Until then it makes your truck feel old and rickety.

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
Hey man I tried to do a search in different variations and came up empty but why would I want to change out my ujoints? Is it inevitable that they'll break or fuck up or is there a good aftermarket. If you could decipher that for me I'd appreciate it. Shop should be calling in the next couple days with the parts to hook up me truck. I'm sure I would be able to stop by a parts store to get some ujoints for a descent deal.
U joints like any other type of moving part go bad over time and usage. All we are saying is you might as well change them while drive shaft is out and apart as they are sure to fail sometime soon. I would use AC Delco or moog.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Cool thanks guys. Your right ima just have them take care of that too while they're under there.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
Another reason to at least have your u-joints inspected if not replaced is the OEM ones aren't greasable and if you're one who likes to keep the underside of the truck clean there is a good chance you've forced water past the grease seals. Once that happens, it's only a matter of time before they run out of grease.

My OEM ones made it about 53K. My first set of O'reilly greasable ones made it over 100K.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool I've already set the date and it's hard for me to get away from this new job with all the training. Is our ubolt size universal to where they'll just have it? If I can't call em hopefully it's something they have on site so they can just do it simultaneously.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finished product. Mechanic says ubolts look good. I don't have extra money to be spending so I didn't do em. I can feel a immediate difference. As I'm pulling out two ladies pull in, one ina brand new three quarter ton lifted Cummins and the other ina F450 duly. I straight up told them the sexiest thing is a woman in a big ass truck. Especially a Badass one like theirs. One of them will be my wife one day lol. Didn't take my phone out cause I was preoccupied with the fact these two bombshells existed lol

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't think to ask about what type they are or what seeing as I'm naive in this particular area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts