Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on replacing my driver side door speaker but I have a trip coming up this weekend and wanted to see if i could fix the stocker for the time being. If i have the balance even I can tell that the sound is 90% passenger if i shift the balance to left i can hear music coming from the driverside but its faint.

Anyone experience this? could it be a pinched wire?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I plan on replacing my driver side door speaker but I have a trip coming up this weekend and wanted to see if i could fix the stocker for the time being. If i have the balance even I can tell that the sound is 90% passenger if i shift the balance to left i can hear music coming from the driverside but its faint.

Anyone experience this? could it be a pinched wire?
Probably just a blown or defective speaker, unless it's your amp or whatever you're driving it with.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Could be the HU going bad. To eliminate sources, switch the speakers from left to right. If the lack of sound follow the speaker, then it's a speaker. If the same corner stays faint then it's in the stereo.

A pinched electrical wire isn't like a fluid line...pinching it won't allow only a certain amount of current to flow unlike pinched fluid lines.

Another test, sit in the middle of the truck and check for equal sound. I notice an unbalanced sound when in the driving position, sometimes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the system is stock. so unless there is a stock amp its being driven from the HU.

I ordered some speakers. 6.75 2ways. Its a WT, looks like only two speakers. If its the HU i ll have a better excuse to replace it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am leery when its comes to replacing HU's because i live in buffalo and i dont want to give someone an excuse to break my windows.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am leery when its comes to replacing HU's because i live in buffalo and i dont want to give someone an excuse to break my windows.
Kind of why I haven't swapped the stereo in my truck ... probably 10 years old now face doesn't come off and it only has an aux input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar problem, except that , on turns, sometimes the volume comes back for a while, and if I open the driver's side door, I regain full volume until I shut said door.Service advisor at my stealership said the wires for the speaker through the door are stretched after @94k of driving. I can't figure out how to remove the audio unit (stock) face, so I can run a separate set of wires to check this theory out.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Swap speakers from side to side. It will be easier. Plus you don't have to tap into the harness to test it.

To access the HU:
The silver bezel comes off. Working from the bottom, pull it away from the dash. There are clips up each side, 2 per side I think. Maybe 3.

Disconnect the plug from the hazard button, and if it is a 4x4 the selector switch.

Once the HU is exposed remove the 3 small screws, two on one side, 1 on the other. Then pull out, unplug the antenna and harness.

I'm doubtful a 'wire is stretched'.

Again, swapping speakers from side to side is easier. That tests if the speaker is bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts