Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just bought a set of clear heads and drl's. I plan on doing the dual turn signal mod and possibally the sequencial dual turn. But I was wondering if it is possible to have dual headlights. Let me explain.

When we hit the high beams the lows kill right? Well is it possible to have both on at the same time? Also I noticed that my fog lights kill when I hit highs too. Can I get them to stay on also.

Any offroading I do is normally at night (flame away) but I basically want more light with out installing more lights considering I have no where to mount them.

Any ideas/ wiring diagrams/ experiences/ anything would be great. If I get bored I may get a second harness and try to do it myslef. Whats the worst that can happen? I can blow a fuse right?. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
i thought there was a kit to do it to silverados not sure of ours...i think it involved wiring a relay in

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn. maybe it's not a DIY project (for me at least) I'll have to Google it some more.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
It's possible. Let me go steal some pictures from the other site.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything would be awesome. Thanks Rangerbob. Seems to me like you always have the answers to my questions. :lol:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Well I can't find the picture but basically you need to solder a jumper between the 87 and 87A pins on the headlight selector relay. This way when the highbeams turn on, the lowbeams will still receive the ground and turn on.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Let me go pop the relay out and I'll see if I can't take the picture real quick.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's that easy? Dang sees like it would be more diffucult. I can probally do this tonight. Or tomorrow after the lift.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Ok - I found the post but the pictures are gone. Here is the text:

Here's a look at the relay. The top pops off with tiny clips, its comes of easily, so don't worry. You just want to avoid poking the coil itself, as this will ruin the relay. On the bottom are pins numbers. We want to join Pin 30 ( always grounded ) to pin 87A ( Low beams ) which will provide a path to ground for the Lo's when the relay switches. Its hardest getting in to solder the center pin, but its not impossible, and just requires a steady hand and fine tip soldering iron. Once done, trim the lid and re attach it. Headlights done!
Pictures once I do it to mine.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome. I'll have to take a peek under the hood tonight. In the mean time I sent an e-mail to that Mr. Taillight guy. I was curious if it was a harness or had to be spliced in. If it's a replacement harness for $20. I may just go that route cuz It also leaves the fogs on too.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I decided not to bother with the fogs as they don't add anything over what the lows + highs do. The way I've going to redo ( I've got it ghetto rigged right now ) this is to solder on the selector relay so it will be super clean.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
good point. I was throwing around the idea of hard wiring the fogs and using the switch for something else ;) As it is I have them on all the time.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I'll do a write up tonight with pictures.

·
Lord Bearded One
23,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweetness. Can't wait.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
someone tell me why more companies dont leave the lows on with the highs? it makes a WORLD of difference. every honda i've ever owned (alot) leaves the lows on with the highs and it works great.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts