Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents bought a brand new Envoy and it has dual zone controls, along with the rear seat vents. I like it and it has me wondering what the difficulty of having either of these would be in our trucks. I did some simple searching on dual zone controls to try to find out how they work and couldn't come up with anything. Does anyone know how it's done? :wtf2:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i've done this and tried to do this on other vehicles. Unfortunately all our switches are mechanical, and for any dual zone or climate control you need electrical switches. If I though any of this would be possible, I would have started by now, but unfortunately it would be incredibly hard to do!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've done this and tried to do this on other vehicles. Unfortunately all our switches are mechanical, and for any dual zone or climate control you need electrical switches. If I though any of this would be possible, I would have started by now, but unfortunately it would be incredibly hard to do!
Couldn't you take the system from a junked vehicle and use parts from it? I know I've heard of projects to convert mechanical switches before...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Couldn't you take the system from a junked vehicle and use parts from it? I know I've heard of projects to convert mechanical switches before...
sure, if there was a colorado that had electrical switches, but there isn't.

the h3 climate control uses electric I think...but then are they going to fit onto the colorados heater and temp controls? prob not. and what would you have to do to change them out? tear out the whole dash and everything under it?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sure, if there was a colorado that had electrical switches, but there isn't.

the h3 climate control uses electric I think...but then are they going to fit onto the colorados heater and temp controls? prob not. and what would you have to do to change them out? tear out the whole dash and everything under it?
:shrug: This is why I'm asking, I've never f'ed with anything related to air conditioning before..

And I've had my dash apart many times before, that's the simple part.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I was just thinking, everything I just said was just for an automatic type climate control, I think it would be next to impossible to add the dual zone part.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just thinking, everything I just said was just for an automatic type climate control, I think it would be next to impossible to add the dual zone part.
As in automatic do you mean the controls where you can set it to a certain temp? Because the Envoy doesn't have that, it's still the normal slider with the blue/red bars.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
yeah, i know what you mean, my sierra had manual dual zone. I don't know how you could possibly split it like that from a normal system.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
It's a pickup truck... and not one with many features at that.

Do what I do when someone says it's to cold/hot... shut their vents and enjoy the extra air coming through the drivers vents ;)

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
yea dual zone is impossible just due to the fact that the vents are all powered on one feed. on the Trailvoy (the name of their owners club, I have 2 of them a Trailblazer & Envoy, so I just call them Trailvoy's now) it has 1 fan but the cool/heat is pumped in on one of two feeds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts