Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for about a year now I have been dealing with the dreaded cel p0017. After researching I replaced the solenoid (the part with the screens that always seem to go bad) the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor. (I believe thats what they are called.) Couple months ago I took it to a mechanic to get a case re learn done and a compression test. Re learn was done but the cel just keeps coming back on. Ive been told its the actual acuator? Like what the exhaust cam itself bolts to. Compression test showed 158-161 on cylinders 1,2 and 4. Cylinder 3 was 130. The truck also likes to consume some oil. And its only getting worse. Before it'd be a couple ml's of oil here and there. Its now about a liter every 250-300km. My mechanic said run some heavier oil to try and stop the burning and maybe bump up the compression. So I've been running 15w-40 (we tried 10w-40 for a while but it just kept burning through it.) the 15w-40 has helped. But very little. One day i was bored and decided to look up my rpo codes. According to my glovebox i have 3.73gears and a g80 problem is. In rain and winter it only one tire fires. No matter what. No weird noises coming from it at all. Now i have a issue when idling after a cold start. The truck idles at about 1000rpm. Then drops to about 500rpm then flat out stalls. Start it up again. And it does nothing but smoke. Also has a weird ticking sound from the engine bay. As of now. It smokes at idle when cold and in first gear above 4000rpm. The trucks an 08 colorado 2.9l i4 150,000km. Ive been told these are pretty much my only options. 1. Engine rebuild 2. Engine swap 3. New truck. Now this is where i ask for your guys and gals opinions on what to do. I like the truck but hate the 2.9. Ever since i got it when grandpa driving it I'm lucky to get 14mpg. Ive also found its gutless. So if I'm engine swapping id rather it be a v8. If i were to sell it as is. What do you think i could get? What would you guys do in my situation. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
362 Posts
All depends on the funds, a complete rebuild would prob be cheaper, but not really what you want, a v8 swap is getting easier with every one done (more tried and trued methods), to me sounds like a couple of bolt ons isnt going to fix your problem IMO id do a 3.7 swap not as much mess as a v8 swap, and still get good MPG's

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea what i could get for it as it sits?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once warmed up. Any problems I have are gone. Its only when its cold

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did your mechanic mention the TSB for excessive crankshaft endplay? I have been struggling with the P0017 myself and after many hours in front of the computer screen have found that it is caused by 1 or more of a handful of issues.

1. VVT actuator solenoid
2. Camshaft position sensor
3. Crankshaft angle sensor
4. CASE relearn (Somehow the PCM has lost its memory; battery swap, battery drain, chaning out sensor, or #5)
5. Excessive crankshaft end play caused by a worn out thrust bearing.

My code started popping up about 2 months before my battery died in January 2014. Because I didn't have to pass emissions (Indiana) until this October I procrastinated. I have replaced the VVT solenoid even though mine bench tested good. Still no change. But i have noticed my EVAP readiness monitor will not set to READY now too. I changed the cam sensor. Found out yesterday that I once again have a pending P0017 but not yet a hard fault. I remember reading on one of these forum threads that a dying battery may cause the PCM to lose memory regarding CASE learn and especially the battery disconnect would have done it. My last option is to change out the Crank Angle sensor since i already have a new one and have the stealership do a CASE relearn for $100 and hope like hell it fixes it. If it doesn't then i will be trading it in for something used and not made by GM. When a company knows that they have used poor quality parts or a bad batch of parts and don't comp the customer for repairs because it will cost them more to do the right thing (regarding crankshaft endplay and bad thrust bearings) they should lose customers. I will do my part as a conscientious consumer and take my money elsewhere. I will miss her though 2008 with 77K miles is too young to go out like that.

P.S Mine has no driveability problems cold or warmed up. No symptoms other than an EVAP monitor that not set and a recurring P0017 by itself. I believe the P0017 is set during the EVAP drive cycle which explains why it wont set to READY.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did your mechanic mention the TSB for excessive crankshaft endplay? I have been struggling with the P0017 myself and after many hours in front of the computer screen have found that it is caused by 1 or more of a handful of issues.

1. VVT actuator solenoid
2. Camshaft position sensor
3. Crankshaft angle sensor
4. CASE relearn (Somehow the PCM has lost its memory; battery swap, battery drain, chaning out sensor, or #5)
5. Excessive crankshaft end play caused by a worn out thrust bearing.

My code started popping up about 2 months before my battery died in January 2014. Because I didn't have to pass emissions (Indiana) until this October I procrastinated. I have replaced the VVT solenoid even though mine bench tested good. Still no change. But i have noticed my EVAP readiness monitor will not set to READY now too. I changed the cam sensor. Found out yesterday that I once again have a pending P0017 but not yet a hard fault. I remember reading on one of these forum threads that a dying battery may cause the PCM to lose memory regarding CASE learn and especially the battery disconnect would have done it. My last option is to change out the Crank Angle sensor since i already have a new one and have the stealership do a CASE relearn for $100 and hope like hell it fixes it. If it doesn't then i will be trading it in for something used and not made by GM. When a company knows that they have used poor quality parts or a bad batch of parts and don't comp the customer for repairs because it will cost them more to do the right thing (regarding crankshaft endplay and bad thrust bearings) they should lose customers. I will do my part as a conscientious consumer and take my money elsewhere. I will miss her though 2008 with 77K miles is too young to go out like that.

P.S Mine has no driveability problems cold or warmed up. No symptoms other than an EVAP monitor that not set and a recurring P0017 by itself. I believe the P0017 is set during the EVAP drive cycle which explains why it wont set to READY.
I know exactly how you feel on the full to young to go out, He did not mention the tsb because once we found low compression we just stopped caring and started looking towards swaps. I have replaced and done everything in the 1-4 reasons. Im guessing what you mentioned in number 5 is whats wrong with mine. Im just done with this vehicle as for now, my families got numerous silverados all lasting over 200,000km's whether it be the dmax or the 5.3. I love gm but this truck is wearing that love thin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts