Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Luv them hoochies
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I use my E-brake all the time and leave the truck in neutral. But now it's kinda starting to stick. I've read the how-to's just to see if there was a way I could loosen it back up cuz it seems like it's starting to hold up my rear tires after I disengage the E-brake
What can I do to fix it? Or do I need to replace parts?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
162 Posts
Seems several have had problems with the e-brake set up or the handle pulling off. I have a 2007 Canyon I bought new and have never used the stupid thing. I have an auto tranny so leave it in park. If I had a stick I'd just leave it in first gear.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Is the brake release releasing fully or are the shoes themselves hanging up?
If the cable gets slack, it may not release fully.

Please clarify.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ass, but do a "Search" for "emergency brake" or "parking brake". The number of Threads associated with this problem make it difficult to provide the best link.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
The cable has an adjustment screw for it. It's meant to take up slack in the cable.

I actually need to do that, or lube mine too. It sometimes barely releases and I have to lift with my toe. Or it releases, so I think, then the chime alarms indicating brake isn't 'released'. Although it is, but the switch wasn't satisfied.

I'm not sure where the adjuster is....under the vehicle I believe and is part of the cable assembly. It might be in the kickpanel.

Hopefully somebody can provide more info on that. It may be easier than pulling the drum and scratching your head wondering where to start.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It could be that it needs adjusting right under the vehicle near the driver front door. But my problem was that the cable housing that went from the handle to the adjustment area got chafed and pinched right by the front cab mount thus not allowing the cable to move.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts