Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I've noticed some noises from the engine compartment lately and today I figured I'd better figure out what it is before destroy something under there. I looked/listened while it was running and had almost decided the timing chain was about to sling off, when I noticed the fan was vibrating all over the place. I turned the truck off and grabbed the fan and gave it a little wiggle. WOW, was there a lot of play in my water pump. Headed to parts store and got the water pump and the loaner tool for taking the fan off. Headed home and watched a couple of U-tube videos just to see if I could learn any trucks. Pretty straight forward, so I went to work. It was a breeze! I had the old pump off in 37 minutes flat. Anyway, it was such a simple task. The only thing that presented a little bit of frustration was getting the fan shroud back together and getting my fat hands in there to get those clips back on. From opening the hood to closing the hood was about an hour and a half, but that included warming it up and getting it full of coolant. Not a bad job at all, and I got to use my new socket set that I purchased with a nice Home Depot gift card. This was a big gift card Christmas with all of my family. Can't decide if we're getting lazy, or just realizing that everyone has their own tastes, and that nobody really needs anything and hey - who doesn't like to walk around a store on go on a website with a little money to spend on something fun?!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just did mine on my trailblazer 4.2, 2 weeks ago, same water pump set up and yes it is not a bad job just be careful not to drop the fan clutch into the water pump or you will need a new radiator (LOL) as I now have a shiny new one but what the heck it was already drained of coolant and was bad as well. Also check the fan clutch as they go bad as too. I used a tool that hooks up to an air chisel to remove the clutch and it was the cats a$$.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Great to hear a story that's not a nightmare! I'll add that "while you are there" do a full flush of the coolant system, especially the heater core. And be mindful of our little furry friends who look to a puddle of coolant as a fruit cocktail...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts