Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab Z71 4x4 and I am wondering what the cheapest/easiest way to lift the rear end about 1.5 to 2 inches.

Any advice helps! thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
^^^It'll fit...or there's other AALs that will that cost a lil more. Or...you can go with a lift shackle. Suspension Maxx makes an adjustable shackle or there's other brands out there. Just search colorado aal or lift shackle.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
^^^^they will fit, the model I provided you was for a 2.36" wide leaf spring. The installation is easy and there is a few How To's on this forum. Another option, suggested by @gway I believe...get half ton springs from a k10 or k5 "and be done with it"

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
That's about right. Our stock leafs are so shitty when I pulled mine off I could move them by hand. With half ton springs you get better load rating and about 2" of lift. Won't have to worry about then turning into W springs which eventually happens to all our trucks. Shackles give you lift but will also make make your leafs sag.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
That's about right. Our stock leafs are so shitty when I pulled mine off I could move them by hand. With half ton springs you get better load rating and about 2" of lift. Won't have to worry about then turning into W springs which eventually happens to all our trucks. Shackles give you lift but will also make make your leafs sag.
Wish I would have gone this route instead of AAL. Oh well, I like my AAL's.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Just a thought, but living up north your leaf spring/shackle bolts will probably be rusted/frozen in place. It is possible to do the AAL with the springs still on the truck, thus eliminating 2 days work and saving you money since you won't have to worry about replacing leaf spring bushings and bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Just a thought, but living up north your leaf spring/shackle bolts will probably be rusted/frozen in place. It is possible to do the AAL with the springs still on the truck, thus eliminating 2 days work and saving you money since you won't have to worry about replacing leaf spring bushings and bolts.
This is true, I faced this when I did my shackles. I had to cut the rubber bushing out of my rear eyelet with a blowtorch. One day of work, but definitely would have rather just done the AAL's

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
half ton leafs will give for sure a lift but the quality ride is gonna be different.

Since I almost never haul heavy loads, I went for the shackles to keep the ride comfort as soft as possible. Chevy trucks are well known for "carlike" quality ride. That´s why I didn´t wanted to mess with AAL´s.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
oh, and from all the shackle options on the market, IMO the Susupension MAXX are the best ones!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
our stock suspension is so soft that if you remove the spare (in case you got a full size spare) you immediately get 1/2" of lift .

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
You can do them with the leafs on the truck. Just undo your shocks and ubolts. Jack the truck up off the axle. Put a c clamp around the leaf a few inches away from the center bolt and take the bolt out. Ease off the c clamp. Put the clamp back on with the AAL in place and suck everything together. Install the new center bolt and then reverse the order.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
And the half ton springs aren't really for hauling considering the stock springs can barely hold the trucks weight. Only thing I ever hauled was a 500lb racing quad every once I'm a while and they were shot.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
You can do them with the leafs on the truck. Just undo your shocks and ubolts. Jack the truck up off the axle. Put a c clamp around the leaf a few inches away from the center bolt and take the bolt out. Ease off the c clamp. Put the clamp back on with the AAL in place and suck everything together. Install the new center bolt and then reverse the order.
For trucks up north like mine, you may not be able to get the center bolt out. If you cant, grind the head off and pound the new bolt down onto the center bolt. This will push the old out and the new one will slide in. Grind off the excess bolt and you're done.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I would use a punch or something to beat the old bolt out. Not the new one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do add a leaf part number 13120 work for z85 colorado 4x4...it says on amazon that they do not fit on my truck..please respond

1 - 20 of 22 Posts