Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've noticed the increased performance whenever the temp gets below zero, so I just made my first video of how the truck acts at -20f. I'm running a homemade CAI, gutted manifold cat, and PCMfor less tune. I've added oversize tires, so the speedo is slow, 50 is actually 55, and 70 is actually 77. I was trying to do two runs to 80, but I spotted a cop on the second one. I also have 600lbs of sandbags in the bed, it was too damn cold to take them out. Our windchill is -45f.

Notice how the engine temp drops from just under half to about 1/8 from the cold air through the intake, it also could be from the cold air rushing over the radiator or a combination of both.

View My Video

·
Registered
466 Posts
that and our trucks tend to build enough pressure to overtake the thermostat and over cool the trucks to begin with when you lay a lead foot into it

·
Registered
587 Posts
damn last night was cold, i spent 2 hours up on the exaust tower at simplot in the wind
it was 22 below by the readout on my chill suit and it was very windy at 400ft in the air.

i gotta get my ram air made on the silverado

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
My truck always does that when temps get below 50 degrees, always has. I've still got the stock airbox, w/just the snorkel removed. :shrug:

J

·
0 Posts
i've got the snorkel and the air lid removed, but mine's never done that.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My temp gage does that ALL the time.......

I've been told I should replace it but the only place to get it is through the dealer.......

·
Registered
563 Posts
mine has never done that. well maybe its because im in hawaii and temps never go below 50 here

M

·
0 Posts
If that engine is in fact running as cold as the gauge says, don't you think it would present a long term problem with sludge buildup?

J

·
0 Posts
i think it's just the motor don't have enough time to react to the cold air. idk. just a guess.

·
Registered
667 Posts
If that engine is in fact running as cold as the gauge says, don't you think it would present a long term problem with sludge buildup?
Yeah, I would get that checked out, last thing you want on a new engine is the development of sludge build up dude.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It runs that cold when it's -10 or lower outside, and then only when I'm WOT. If I drive normal, it stays near the halfway mark on the temp guage.

·
Registered
587 Posts
noticed a cool cold air effect yesterday, it was 22 below when i went to work. i had a half a tank of gas by the gauge. when i got off work it was 0 degrees. and i had 3/4 tank....
kinda cool i gained fuel.

i know that it was just the density of the gas changing by the temp but cool none the less

·
Registered
577 Posts
last time i tryed something like that a white crown vic popped over the hill on the high way with lights but it was a funeral lead car. scared the sh** out of me at first. it was like the same thing that happened in the camaro at 130 mph but at 85mph

1 - 15 of 15 Posts