Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck always thinks the driver's side door is closed. The radio won't turn off, the wipers don't turn off, and the chimes that let you know your key is still in the ignition don't ring! The last one is the biggest issue for me, since I lock my keys in the car on a regular basis, even when the chime IS operational. Thank god for AAA.

1. Anyhow, I first tried to reset the BCM. I took the connectors off both terminals of the battery for 5 hours at work one day. Then when it was slow, a buddy and I went outside to reconnect them. I forgot that my truck had an alarm installed from when I got it from the dealership. So we ran around like chickens with our heads cut off, and I found one of the key fobs in my glovebox. I work in a fire dispatch center - at least I did it on a day our boss - boss wasn't there. It was a slow day anyhow, although we did get a call from some people that were concerned about a bat living inside a campground toilet. Not that they thought it would bite them, but worried about the safety of the animal. Who calls 911 for a bat in a toilet? I'm pretty sure he liked living in a pooper! Its dark all the time, ect. Well, that's another story for another day. The BCM reset did not relieve the symptoms.

2. I had a brilliant idea at 3am last night (not at work, actually sleeping!) that it might be the door jamb switch. I also decided I need to change my transmission fluid in that dream, but again, another story for another time. My thought process went something like this: turn truck on, turn it off, and then open THE PASSENGER door! Radio went off! Problem isolated to the driver side. Neighbors angry at me for being awake at 3am.

3. This morning, I went with diagnostic #3. I unscrewed the driver's side door jam switch, and replaced it with the passenger side switch. No dice on the driver's side, passenger side still works.

4. Pulled the rubber boot down between the half door and the body of the truck. Bingo! I found a broken wire. This wire is so small though that it looks like it belongs on my RC Helicopter - not in a truck! I got all excited until I realized I could not find the other end of the wire. I think its still in the boot since they seem to be electrical taped together as they go in. Can I cut that boot open or is there an easier way to find that piece of toy wire?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Good troubleshooting!! Which side of the wire is missing? If it is the door side, you can probably pull the interior door panel and look for it. If it is the body side, it's going to require some work to get access, and cutting open the boot may be easier. You are in good company, a lot of Extended Cab guys are experiencing broken wires in that area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm actually having this same exact issue. The truck recognizes the passenger side door is open when it opens, shuts the radio off, dome lights come on etc. The driver door used to work and was intermittent and eventually just stopped working.

Where is this boot you found your wire in?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the exact same issues with almost the same troubleshooting. I ran to the wrecking yard and luckily they had one but I had to convince them to sell it because they wanted to keep it intact with the door in case someone wanted the whole door so they may or may not give it to you. You can get it from the dealer for I think 130 or so. I tried to cut the boot open and use heat shrink connectors but I had all but one wire cut so the bunch of connectors was way too big to put back in the boot so I just duct taped it to keep water out until I found the harness at the wrecking yard

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm actually having this same exact issue. The truck recognizes the passenger side door is open when it opens, shuts the radio off, dome lights come on etc. The driver door used to work and was intermittent and eventually just stopped working.

Where is this boot you found your wire in?
The boot is between the body and door near the bottom

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went out and checked both sides of that boot and it seems like all the wires are intact. I'm going to leave the battery unhooked over night and see if I can do a BCM reset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It 100% not working now, but about 6 months ago it was hit or miss. I think it may be a cut wire or bad switch.

Does your passenger side window work but no the passenger side door lock?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The passenger side on mine was unaffected. The speaker didn't work and the door showed that it was always closed and one of the wires for (I think) the seatbelt sensor was cut. I had to pull on the wires to find they were cut. It was quite a while ago but I think it was about 2 inches away from the plug on the body side that was cut. Try pulling the boot off the body side and pulling on a few of the wires and see it they come out of the end

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
I've had to replace every one of the wires in my door harness at least once since I bought it. I think part of the problem is the wire that GM uses isn't designed for that kind of flex. The last time I had to replace everything I actually cut part of the wire tube off and am just running the wires wrapped in spiral loom. Makes it easier next time I have to fix one of them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same issue. The speaker on my suicide door was not working and so I bypassed the door jam switch and then it would not recognize when the drive door was open. That was also where I had an issue of the airbag light. There is a specific wire that broke that is apparently linked to the airbag. I have fixed it 3 times, yet it continues to break in new spots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is exactly why I signed up, lol. I have this exact issue on my crew cab. Looks like I'll be removing the boot this weekend to look for a broken wire. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
This is exactly why I signed up, lol. I have this exact issue on my crew cab. Looks like I'll be removing the boot this weekend to look for a broken wire. Thanks!
Exactly what is your issue. The problems that have been discussed in this Thread are all related to Extended Cab models. The problem with broken wires in the rear door hinge area doesn't seem to apply to the Crew Cabs. If you are having a problem with the "Doors" indication on the instrument panel, it could be one of the four switches mounted on the lower door frame area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exactly what is your issue. The problems that have been discussed in this Thread are all related to Extended Cab models. The problem with broken wires in the rear door hinge area doesn't seem to apply to the Crew Cabs. If you are having a problem with the "Doors" indication on the instrument panel, it could be one of the four switches mounted on the lower door frame area.
Oh.. crap.. lol
Maybe I should have read through it a little better. When I open the drivers door the lights, radio and wipers can stay on. If I open the passenger side everything shuts off. I was thinking maybe something in the wiring of the radio because when my step - brother owned it he put in a touch screen HU and chopped the wires up. The stock radio is in it now and works fine. But when you open the door the light doesn't come on either. So I keep switching back between the door switch and the wiring in the dash.

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
That could be the switch or it could be a broken wire as well. Try swapping the switch from the passenger door to the driver door and see if the problem continues.

Looks like I get to tear apart my door yet again. Airbag light is on and my speaker isn't working anymore. Gods, I love GM engineering! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
New (old) Colorado owner. Thanks for the troubleshooting info. It probably wouldn't occurred to me to change the switches around to see if that is the issue. I swapped the driver side front switch with the driver side rear switch. Found it was the front switch that was bad. Thanks again!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts