Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my truck for 50,000 miles now and in that time, I haven't a single check engine light, abs light, passlock light..... Nothing. Until today anyways. So i'm driving down the road and I lose all of my gauges. Then the radio starts turning on and off. The fourwheel drive selection lights are blinking. All four fan speeds work, but the fan is blowing slower than it normally would. All the wiper speeds work, but the wipers move slowly. Also all the interior lights are dim. The ABS light comes on and off while the passlock light stays on solid.

Things that I have done:

- Checked both ground blocks at each fender well. Cleaned them and tightened them down good.

- Checked the battery voltage while the truck was running and when it was off. 14.2 volts while running and about 12.8 while off.

- I unplugged both battery cables, touched them together and held them together for about fifteen seconds. Then re-installed them, and the same result.

I'm leaning towards a BCM problem. But I want to get some input before I go to the stealership.

:anger::anger::mad2::disgust:

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Take it up to an auto parts store and get the battery load tested.

It may be breaking down internally and can't handle load conditions.

I suggest that because it's common, and free.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Take it up to an auto parts store and get the battery load tested.

It may be breaking down internally and can't handle load conditions.

I suggest that because it's common, and free.

And if your local parts store is too busy, Most if not all 'Batteries Plus' can load test too. Had to do that on sisters battery recently.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I feel pretty stupid right now. When I checked the voltage, I measured from the positive and negative on the battery. I didn't think to measure from the body to the main 100 amp fuse in the fuse Box. While the truck was running I was only reading 9 volts at the fuse box. So i slapped myself in the face. Obviously a bad ground. Turns out it was the main ground from the battery to the frame. It was covered in rust. So I cleaned that area up with a wire brush and about ten minutes later I started the truck and now 14 volts at the fuse box... I'm still kicking myself for this

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This thread can be marked as Closed/Solved. I hope this helps someone in the future

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I wouldn't slap yourself too many times. I'll bet that there are a lot of us that measure across the terminals and not the fuse to ground. Myself included.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Damn good work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts