Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here's my dilemma or whatever...

i am currently running no cats just a flowmaster super 40 and my registration for my plates is due today... here in AZ they are wanting 320 for one year but since im moving to cali in Jan i thought i might as well just register my truck over there now... well i called the DMV in cali just now and they said its around 150 a year and requires a smog/emission test.... but like i said... i am running no cats and higly doubt i can pass...

what im getting at is:

will a tune make my truck read that my emissions are okay when they hook me up to the computer thing there at emissions??

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
find a new manifold? :shrug:
ehh :shrug: i dunno....

dont really wanna have to put it on just for emissions then replace it again. i may just register out here for a year and then next year when im in cali throw on a high proformance cat and pass.

but tuning wont help??

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aight cool, i will look him up and send a pm.... i take it the guy who tunes is in socal??

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
dunno guy.. i dont live in cali ;) I have mine registered on a farm so anything I do to mine will pass ;)
that is prolly the best idea i have heard to beat emissions! good thinkin!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Does CA treadmill? In md - post 95 vehicles don't treadmill. They just plug into the OBDII prot and check to see if there is a problem. No codes - no problem.

·
Registered
893 Posts
i may just register out here for a year and then next year when im in cali throw on a high proformance cat and pass.
FYI Another shitty cali law is "You have 90 days after you move to cali to have cali plates / drivers licence (sp)"

And I'm speaking from experience!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI Another shitty cali law is "You have 90 days after you move to cali to have cali plates / drivers licence (sp)"

And I'm speaking from experience!!!!!!
damn, i just got back from the DMV out here and registered here. and i asked the lady what i have to do when i move to cali, she said that because im going as a student i may be able to see if they have some kind of student program there where i dont have to have my truck registered there right away... :shrug:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well a student "might" be different. My deal was I got out of the military here and was living here. So if you are here as a student you migh be able to get away with it. I'd most definately give it a try. If nothing else playing dumb works most of the time!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Are your cats just gutted or replaced w/ a pipe?

When they use to have emission testing here in florida when I was a little kid. They'd check and see if you had cats w/ these rods w/ mirrors attached at the end (you know what im talking about) while your being tested. So look out for that. If you cats are just gutted your chances off passing if the tune does work are greater. If they see not cats and just str8 piping. They could possibly hassel you and not pass you.

Sorry to go off topic but its just one question for you cali guys. Im curious, are police radar detectors illegal in cali?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
han,
I am in te military and I dont have to get my veicle or drivers lisc4ence changed. it can stay with my home of record.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are your cats just gutted or replaced w/ a pipe?

When they use to have emission testing here in florida when I was a little kid. They'd check and see if you had cats w/ these rods w/ mirrors attached at the end (you know what im talking about) while your being tested. So look out for that. If you cats are just gutted your chances off passing if the tune does work are greater. If they see not cats and just str8 piping. They could possibly hassel you and not pass you.

Sorry to go off topic but its just one question for you cali guys. Im curious, are police radar detectors illegal in cali?
I the first gutted and the second one replaced with pipe.. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
my friend had a mustang that he put high flow cats on because he needed to pass emissions and he still failed... :shrug:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts