Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a little nervous to clean my engine bay for a while now. Last time I did was about 2 years ago. I sprayed it down with a hose and the belt squealed NONSTOP from friday night till monday morning...not even kidding. I don't know why it would last that long. Tried belt dressing and it just made it worse. Was going to get a new belt on lunch but noticed it going away finally...

So since then I haven't done it for fear of a repeat. I don't know why that happened to me. Every freakin car that comes through my work get's the engine bay sprayed with industrial degreaser and rinsed off. And I never hear of them having problems.

So what's your guys' procedures? Any parts to avoid with water? What products do you use?

I need to get this done for the meets....:salute:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I just pop the hood and spray it down. I'll wipe the big area's down afterwords to keep from getting water spots. Just don't use any high pressure close up to any electrical, like the alternator or fuse box.

·
0 Posts
I go buy 2 bottles of Turtlewax F21 and spray the shit out of everything under the hood...then I go back right after spraying it and wipe it down with a towel...if I missed spots, rinse and repeat...after I'm done it usually looks better than new...

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just wipe everything accessible down with a damp towel after every weekly wash. :shrug:

In my case, there's no grease, just dust.

Still looks new under there.
X2 Since I do this every week it doesn't have time to get that dirty.

And my belts squeak every time it rains. Usually takes a few hours for them to dry out. HATE IT!

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So pretty much just Sac up and do it huh!:lolsign:

I'll use what they have at work. They seem to get engines looking pretty good.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was a little anal when I did mine....I covered the air filter, ecm, battery, etc. with plastic trash bags before i sprayed it down w/ a high pressure sprayer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts