Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
05 2.8L Colorado
Hello, So I just recently replaced my engine fan clutch because it was always engaged (just started out of nowhere) and the new one is the same way. Doesn’t make sense to me, from my understanding it should only engage when the spring heats up. It works just like an old school thermostat, but it is always on..sounds like a jet engine.

*It always sounds like jet/semi. Hot, cold, half mile-1000mile. I have owned the truck almost 3y and it just started doing it. So I replaced the engine fan clutch(Doorman) and it does the same thing. Does not seem normal, especially if it ran for years perfectly fine clicking on and off when needed not always sound like jet engine.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You didn't mention what brand replacement part you are using. In my experience the only one that's any good, performs like the original OEM, is the ACDelco brand. I went with a Hayden replacement, which I believed to be a quality part, but for the first mile I drive it sounds like a jet engine before quieting down. Not worth the few bucks saved over the ACDelco part.
You may have a defective part right out of the box, it happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't mention what brand replacement part you are using. In my experience the only one that's any good, performs like the original OEM, is the ACDelco brand. I went with a Hayden replacement, which I believed to be a quality part, but for the first mile I drive it sounds like a jet engine before quieting down. Not worth the few bucks saved over the ACDelco part.
You may have a defective part right out of the box, it happens.
Thanks for the reply. I used Doorman, basically all I could find(Canada) I may need to just try another one.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mine is factory and sounds like a jet for the first half mile or so, then it normalizes. I believe the design is just a little cold blooded. My fan is never still, but engages to jet mode as the temps warm up. Is that what all y'all experience too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is factory and sounds like a jet for the first half mile or so, then it normalizes. I believe the design is just a little cold blooded. My fan is never still, but engages to jet mode as the temps warm up. Is that what all y'all experience too?
No, unfortunately mine is jet mode all the time.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The fan is basically controlled by temperature, but also controlled by speed. With low RPM's the fan is engaged all the time. Once you get up to speed and air begins to flow naturally through the radiator, the fan will not spin as fast. My '04 with the original fan clutch and 265,000 miles on it still sounds like a jet taking off for the fist half mile I drive it every morning. It's normal.

·
2 timer
1,501 Posts
Both my trucks have\had a "jet Mode" sound on moving first thing in the morning. The '09 did it on the test drive with less than 6 miles on it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm the original owner of my truck and the new from the factory fan was only noisy for .2 of a mile. When I replaced a bad water pump I cross threaded the fan and ruined it, old guy in a hurry, and only readily available part was the Hayden which is noisy for a full mile. The lone bright spot is I'm loosing my hearing which compensates for the noise.

·
2 timer
1,501 Posts
I was the first owner of the '09 as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fan is basically controlled by temperature, but also controlled by speed. With low RPM's the fan is engaged all the time. Once you get up to speed and air begins to flow naturally through the radiator, the fan will not spin as fast. My '04 with the original fan clutch and 265,000 miles on it still sounds like a jet taking off for the fist half mile I drive it every morning. It's normal.
The problem is mine sounds like that all the time. Can drive 50miles, doesn’t matter.
Thanks for the reply. It just doesn’t make sense why mine has ran for years not doing that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
05 2.8L Colorado
Hello, So I just recently replaced my engine fan clutch because it was always engaged (just started out of nowhere) and the new one is the same way. Doesn’t make sense to me, from my understanding it should only engage when the spring heats up. It works just like an old school thermostat, but it is always on..sounds like a jet engine.

*It always sounds like jet/semi. Hot, cold, half mile-1000mile. I have owned the truck almost 3y and it just started doing it. So I replaced the engine fan clutch(Doorman) and it does the same thing. Does not seem normal, especially if it ran for years perfectly fine clicking on and off when needed not always sound like jet engine.

05 2.8L Colorado

I had the exact same experience as Old Time. Get the AC Delco or OEM fan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts