Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought this truck last week,well the day after i got it i went out to start it and for about 5 seconds it sounded like it was knocking.kinda like rocker arms needing to be adjusted. is this normal for these trucks? by the way its an 05 canyon with the i5

·
Registered
118 Posts
it could be piston slap wich is common on GM vehicles or it could be a dead/sticking lifter. change the oil/filter and see if it goes away. perferably mobil 1 filter will do the trick. hope this helps

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
We don't have lifters or rocker arms, we have roller followers since it's a DOHC engine.

It's hard to say, I think some have experienced piston slap like other GM engines but I've never noticed it in mine. Are you saying it went away once it warmed up? Something like this is hard to diagnose without actually hearing it in person.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
how many miles and has it been taken care of, maybe its time for a flush...
oldman

·
Registered
845 Posts
Was the vehicle a used vehicle? Have you've checked to see if you have oil?
Thats usually one of the first things to check.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We don't have lifters or rocker arms, we have roller followers since it's a DOHC engine.

It's hard to say, I think some have experienced piston slap like other GM engines but I've never noticed it in mine. Are you saying it went away once it warmed up? Something like this is hard to diagnose without actually hearing it in person.
man i keep forgeting which forum im on. my bad.....

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea its used and i know nothing of its history,its gm certified but obviously that isnt saying much.it has 49,000 on the clock.once its running it goes away but if you turn it off for about 5 minutes and restart it you can hear it again.and the oil is over filled a little bit

·
Registered
845 Posts
yea its used and i know nothing of its history,its gm certified but obviously that isnt saying much.it has 49,000 on the clock.once its running it goes away but if you turn it off for about 5 minutes and restart it you can hear it again.and the oil is over filled a little bit
:shrug:

Take it to the dealer if its GM cert. Thats pretty much all you can do. Like brakenit said its hard to know what it is w/ out seeing the vehicle in person.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just dropped ot off today to have it looked at and the steering shaft.i can feel it popping.i was just seeing if you guys have had the same problems.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I think PRC had that problem I am not exactly sure though :shrug:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
yeah mine has a harder time starting than my bored and stroked mazda lol
what kind of mazda motor you got bored and stroked???

OP: if search actually works try it, i have seen a handful of people say they have this problem. it could be so many things, but if it does it after sitting for 5 minutes its probably not an oiling issue, more than likely something mechanical. timing chain slack maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
i just bought this truck last week,well the day after i got it i went out to start it and for about 5 seconds it sounded like it was knocking.kinda like rocker arms needing to be adjusted. is this normal for these trucks? by the way its an 05 canyon with the i5
did you drive the truck before you gave them the cash ? did you check all the fluids and smeel them ? what did you do when you got it home ? first thing you do is put fi cleaner in the tank . second is change the oil filter and date it . you might even put 1 qt of kerosine and run it for 2 hrs . now change it again . did you look in the overflow tank and should it be flushed ?
old man

1 - 18 of 18 Posts