Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a small engine noise and I can't determine where it's coming from. I've changed the oil lately with Mobil 5w30 and some Lucas oil stabilizer. The only time I really hear the noise often is at low RPMs when the truck is in gear and the RPMs drop. In part you don't hear it often at all. I've crawled all over it and I feel like it's coming from the water pump. It's more center of the motor than being on top of the motor. It sounds like metal tapping metal. If you bump the RPMs the noise disappears but then comes back when they drop. Anyone ever had issues with the water pump impeller rubbing or tapping inside the housing?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Bearing going in pump shaft causes it to rattle. Had to do mine back in FEB. after it started running water out the weap hole. Started out just as you described. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking. It's not dripping... Yet but I was pretty certain that's what it was. It almost sounded like the impeller had gotten loose of the shaft and was contacting something

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had the time to mess with it. I'm gunna take digs advice and change my pump this summer sometime. It cools great I'm just wanting to get rid of the tapping noise

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
did you guys find a solution to this? i just noticed the slight tapping noise the other day...
I changed the water pump. I also have a constant "rattle" in the front of my motor, but I believe that is the timing chain rattling against the worn out guides. I am probably going to have to pull it all down and replace the timing chain and guides and tensioner.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Mine has been doing it for 45 or 50 thousand miles and my mechanic says I need to do it, but it is expensive and I do not have the facilities or the time.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Fan and pulley off, water pump off, front plate off, intake and valve cover off, chain out and guides and tensioner out. My mechanic is Family, and it still costs me around 600 in parts and labor.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
You sure it's not the serpentine belt tensioner? I was at a meet last Saturday and one of the guys came up to me and said if I could get the part, he'd put it in for me. My rattlin' noise went away after a quick trip to Pep Boys

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dam Dig I was expecting somewhere around that.

No sir I've already changed the tensioner and it sounds like it's coming from the center of the motor so I'm thinking water pump or the timing

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
You sure it's not the serpentine belt tensioner? I was at a meet last Saturday and one of the guys came up to me and said if I could get the part, he'd put it in for me. My rattlin' noise went away after a quick trip to Pep Boys
Like Georgiaboy, I have a new tensioner, belt, water pump, and power steering pump. All installed in January. My mechanic says it is the timing chain rattling on worn out guides. The rattle also gets louder if you take the oil cap off.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like Georgiaboy, I have a new tensioner, belt, water pump, and power steering pump. All installed in January. My mechanic says it is the timing chain rattling on worn out guides. The rattle also gets louder if you take the oil cap off.
I'll try and removed cap and see if the same thing happens for me. Thanks man!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts