Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Isuzu i290 extended cab 2wd 5speed
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new guy here with an 07 Isuzu I 290 . My truck has been throwing various codes . Which I have fixed. And now I had a code p0420 code for the catalytic converter. But it went away. I have had the dreaded code p0017 which won’t go away. I have replaced all the timing components and balance shaft components except the shafts and bearings. I have replaced the camshaft solenoid twice. I have also replaced both sensors. I have checked for fuel at rail and have pressure. I can start the vehicle and sometimes it starts just fine and is quiet. Sometimes it is hard to start. Sometimes it keeps trying to crank. My truck runs fine when I am in the throttle cruising or accelerating. Sometimes I let off the gas and it will either run rough or just dies or runs rough then dies and sometimes I can keep it going. This is scary. I would like to post a video if can but don’t know how. If someone knows how please let me know. And thanks for the forum

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also forgot my truck can be really noisy.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
P0017: Crankshaft Position - Exhaust Camshaft Position Correlation. Have you check the other end of the circuit - the crankshaft position sensor?

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body for the rough running at idle?

·
Internet Troll
1,329 Posts
What cart7881 said. The solenoid is easily reached on the passenger side front of the engine. Those can be an issue.
My '09 had that code due to slop in the timing chain and ran well for years with that code on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What cart7881 said. The solenoid is easily reached on the passenger side front of the engine. Those can be an issue.
My '09 had that code due to slop in the timing chain and ran well for years with that code on.
Yes I have cleaned the throttle body and replaced the solenoid twice when the p0017 appeared. The second time is when I replaced all of the timing components. I also replaced both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I have cleaned the throttle body and replaced the solenoid twice when the p0017 appeared. The second time is when I replaced all of the timing components. I also replaced both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
P0017: Crankshaft Position - Exhaust Camshaft Position Correlation. Have you check the other end of the circuit - the crankshaft position sensor?

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body for the rough running at idle?
Yes I have cleaned the throttle body multiple times. The crankshaft position sensor is new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have also replaced the drive belt like 3 or 4 times. First one was a Napa Kevlar based belt to which they wouldn’t warranty. I am very unhappy in that . The belt lasted maybe 6 months if that. The next two came from
Oreilly both disintegrated within days of each other and I got a refund. The last one came from car quest and it is holding up fine. All the belts were replaced end of summer last year.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
And a Crankshaft Position System Variation Relearn was accomplished after crankshaft position sensor replacement? About all that is left is the ECM and wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
From the 2007 Service Manual:

DTC P0017:
The following conditions may cause this DTC to set:
• An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
• A mis-built or mis-timed engine
• A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
• Excessive crankshaft endplay
• The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
• The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees

Obviously, that would be in addition to electrical failures.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok no relearn yet. And everything torqued to spec.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the replies. I am going to check fuel pressure tomorrow am by renting the pressure test tools

·
Registered
521 Posts
Get a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF really well. Check the MAP sensor functionality and related piping for leaks. Make sure your coolant temperature sensor is reading correctly, to include making sure the engine is warming up correctly (thermostat functionality).

Premature belt failure is usually an alignment problem, or oil contamination.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Get a can of MAF cleaner and clean the MAF really well. Check the MAP sensor functionality and related piping for leaks. Make sure your coolant temperature sensor is reading correctly, to include making sure the engine is warming up correctly (thermostat functionality).

Premature belt failure is usually an alignment problem, or oil contamination.
Thank you kenzen I have a new map sensor and my car quest belt is holding up. My temp gauge reads ok. I am thinking I might have had gunk on a pulley that caused the other belts to disintegrate but I couldn’t see a thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am going to rent a fuel system pressure tester today if I can and check the fuel pressure. I’ll post my results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My fuel pressure is 60 psi my catalytic converter temp is almost 500 before and I think 300 something afterwards . Here is a couple of pics with key the in the on position. Cel is showing p0017 pending and confirmed. Also a link to another video of how it sounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok here’s an update. My truck runs great until warmed up. My truck runs great if I keep on throttle. I have checked for vacuum leaks and have not found any. Before I changed the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors my truck was running like this and the first thing I did was clean the maf and the throttle body. I also changed the solenoid. Then I changed the timing and balance shaft components. It still runs this way now. My timing components and balance shaft components were worn out. I also replaced my oil pressure sensor as it was worn out. I replaced both crankshaft and camshaft sensors at the same time. And now I am at a loss as to what to do next. And again I thank you guys for all the help.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
That's a terrible noise. I'd take the drive belt off and crank it up and see if some of that noise goes away. If it does, spin each of the pullies and see if any have friction, are loose or feel like they are binding at all. When you say you replaced all of the timing components, I'm guessing you replaced the timing chains?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts