Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone i have a 2004 Colorado Ls 4x4 with the 3.5L

So my problem is my motor tends to drop rpm and act like it wanting to turn off and every once in a while it does. I've notice this to only happen after i first crank my truck and put it into gear. It doesn't do it every time but it has done it enough to catch my eye. maybe 3 out of 10 cranks it does it. please help!!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I don't know what you are saying when you say "3 out of 10 cranks". I'm trying to understand how cranking is related to rough idle.

Have you ever cleaned the MAF Sensor, or the Throttle body. Cleaning the throttle body is actually considered routine maintenance on our trucks, unofficially. The system lends itself to gunking up the throttle body. Cleaning it helps with erratic idle. However, idle is usually always erratic with this condition, just just at startup.

If you need more information regarding cleaning your throttle body we can link you to the how-to thread for that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 out 10 cranks, im referring to when i start my truck up. 3 out of the 10 times i start up the truck it does it. sorry about that

i just had my throttle body clean but i have not clean the MAF sensor. At one point i was directed to it might be a vacuum leak?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I fought a similar problem for quite a while in my 04. Cleaning TB and MAF sensor did help a little. Looking for vacumn leaks, etc. The diff with my problem was it only stalled on me once when turning a corner.
My cure was a PCM update at the dealer that addressed a low idle. Maybe a month or so after that, I still had a very minor idle stumble when coming to a stop sign. @supermod took care of that in a tune and no problem since, and that was back in April.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You basically sum up all of my problem that occur I will definitely have to look into getting a tune and what not. Thank you how much did the pcm update cost?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I think the dealer pcm updates were something like $100. That's at Connecticut dealer labor rates. Since the truck was 10 years old and never been to the dealer, I had a ton of updates to install. They gave me a hard time about installing all and ended up only doing 7 if I remember correctly. Supermod's tune brought me up to date with everything.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
It isn't necessary to do the dealership update before a supermod tune. James just did mine, and he updated mine to the latest as well. Mine is also a 2005, and I also had the random stumble issue when I first got the truck.
Things I did:
-cleaned maf
-fuel filter
-fuel pressure regulator (fuel smell)
-air filter
-cleaned tb

and recently a tune from James

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
It isn't necessary to do the dealership update before a supermod tune. James just did mine, and he updated mine to the latest as well. Mine is also a 2005, and I also had the random stumble issue when I first got the truck.
Things I did:
-cleaned maf
-fuel filter
-fuel pressure regulator (fuel smell)
-air filter
-cleaned tb

and recently a tune from James
Agreed on the no dealer needed with James' tune. I went to the dealer before I knew James. If I had joined the 355Nation earlier, would have saved myself the $100 and a bunch of aggravation.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Plus, getting a tune from James is the best way to wake up your truck. I'm running 33's and sometimes if I am on the right type of payment I can chirp the tires shifting into second. :naughty:

Other nice things since the tune:
-less fuel smell on cold days
-no more second gear shifts on interstate, unless you force it to with your foot
-faster starting (2-3 cranks vs. 5-9)
-better mpg's depending on the tune you get

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plus, getting a tune from James is the best way to wake up your truck. I'm running 33's and sometimes if I am on the right type of payment I can chirp the tires shifting into second. :naughty:

Other nice things since the tune:
-less fuel smell on cold days
-no more second gear shifts on interstate, unless you force it to with your foot
-faster starting (2-3 cranks vs. 5-9)
-better mpg's depending on the tune you get
Can y'all point me into the direction of James and the super-mod tune. As i am new to the nation i am not very familiar with the forum yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts