Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
252,000+ Miles
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my truck for work as a DD, and spend a lot of time on the phone using the HU for hands free talk.

I just got a coupon good till 5/15 for 25% off all magnaflow parts (even though amazon won't ship my cat to NY, for whatever reason). Before you ask, it's only usable on my account and can only use it once.

So, my options are single or double, but I can't have a lot of road noise or droning inside the cab. I've done a lot of soundproofing already and really don't want to put carpet back inside.

What exhaust is the right answer for quiet? Should I even look at magnaflow? (I do plan on putting KPE headers in at the same time).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well I understand what you are looking for. I was in the same boat so here is what I found.

I went with the magnaflow cat back exhaust. First day I drive home I was very unhappy with the sound of it. So next day went back and installed a magnaflow resonator right after the second cat and before the muffler. This took care of the drone issue. I get a small amount at about 70kph but before or after that there is nothing. And on the hwy it is very quite all the way up to 190kph. My K&N intake makes more nosie than the exhaust. In 3rd gear while towing the travel trailer it is noticeable there is a exhaust because towing is at 2700rpm but not noisy to the point you can't drive the truck. At idle it sounds nice and deep. No it does not sound like a V8 or a V6 it is a inline 5. I am also running both stock cats and it did make a differance in performance you will notice this after going up big hills.

I also did my whole interior with matting was nice of Gm to use almost no sound material. But the key to this is the resonator this will get rid of the raspy sound. Also I found with the magnaflow it's takes months before it really breaks in and when it does it does get deeper in sound. If I did not go magnaflow I would have ran the borla cat back or a borla xs muffler. You could just order the magnaflow muffler and install that you really don't need a cat back. When you go to there site and look at the kit it will tell you which muffler they use in there kit and you can buy just that. Also dual just looks cool to some and adds more noise. If you want performance gain and good sound go to a single side out exhaust set up.

I hope this helps you out. I would say go and listen to you tube vids but they never sound as good as in person. Best of luck.

·
252,000+ Miles
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been planning on using the cat back duals from magnaflow (since my spare is on my tailgate anyway) and I need to replace the header and cat at the same time, but just don't need extra cab noise...I don't care that much what it sounds like as long as it doesn't sound rice, and doesn't interfere with my calls.

I have close to $1000 in dynamat and other soundproofing in the truck, and am not running carpet right now. I don't want to need carpet again.

What part number resonator did you use?

Does it effect performance in any way (losing HP from extra backpressure, etc?)

I've also heard different tips or relocating their exit points can help with sound too.

Need to decide before 5/15 so I can use the coupon and am just hoping for some real world experience so I don't get very, very angry at a ricey sounding truck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I so did all the dynamat in my truck. Helps lots.

The dual exhaust will give you more of a drone from what I have been told. And for making better power a single side sounds better and makes better power tourqe numbers. Back pressure is a bad myth. Google it and you will learn lots. It's all about exhaust velocity and keeping the temps up on the exhaust. Your truck is a n/a set up so sticking to 2 1/2 is perfect no need for 3 inch.

And yes I am running mine out the side as magnaflow had it. But changed the exhaust tip to a c6 corvette exhaust tip that had resonators in the tip. Sounded great at idle and hwy speed but some funny drone was entering the cab. Thought may be muffler going bad. Went to a local shop and they had a borla square exhaust tip called a intercooler tip. So I bought it and welded it in pace of the old tips. Well drone nosie gone and better sound than before so now even more peacefull. But get on the gas comes to life. Not sure why it really changed that much but it did so win for me.

I will pull out the papers when home and get you the resonator part number.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
I so did all the dynamat in my truck. Helps lots.

The dual exhaust will give you more of a drone from what I have been told. And for making better power a single side sounds better and makes better power tourqe numbers. Back pressure is a bad myth. Google it and you will learn lots. It's all about exhaust velocity and keeping the temps up on the exhaust. Your truck is a n/a set up so sticking to 2 1/2 is perfect no need for 3 inch.

And yes I am running mine out the side as magnaflow had it. But changed the exhaust tip to a c6 corvette exhaust tip that had resonators in the tip. Sounded great at idle and hwy speed but some funny drone was entering the cab. Thought may be muffler going bad. Went to a local shop and they had a borla square exhaust tip called a intercooler tip. So I bought it and welded it in pace of the old tips. Well drone nosie gone and better sound than before so now even more peacefull. But get on the gas comes to life. Not sure why it really changed that much but it did so win for me.

I will pull out the papers when home and get you the resonator part number.
Exhaust pulses and is never a steady stream, with no backpressure it will create a vacuum between pulses and reverse exhaust flow which leads to burnt up valves. With back pressure, it maintains pressure between these pulses so that a vacuum can not form and air continually flows out more freely, but there are proper numbers for this which you have to calculate based on engine and exhaust size.

Simple physics for every action there is an opposite reaction.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think you will be happy with it.

That last post should just be ignored.

Here is the magnaflow resonator number 10416 it is 14x4x4 and over all length is 20 inches

And if you want to just order the muffler the part number is 14256 over all length is 24 inches

Then you can just add on to the factory exhaust and run out the rear side and pick your own exhaust tip and save even more money.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The resonator was easily added while doing the exhaust.

Not sure what it will sound like with a header installed. But seeing you are 4x4 it will help getting rid of the crushed pipe that you have.

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,553 Posts
I had a magnaflow dual out the back, and i loved the way it sound, but to me just wasnt loud enough so i took it off and put a y pipe in place of the muffler, but it felt like i lost power in the mid range area so after it rusted away i went with a completly new system and went with a single pip with a bullit type muffler. I just posted a video of they way it sounds, and it does feel stronger with a muffler back on

·
Registered
141 Posts
Strongly recommend a 14in Dynomax Super Turbo. Does not drone, tone is nice and deep. You can definitely tell there's aftermarket exhaust on it, I don't think it's quite as quiet as some have it out to be.

I have a regular cab with the exhaust dumped over the axle. I have extremely minimal drone at any level speed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sounds good. But like I stated your truck will sound different just because you will have a header vs mine with the stock exhaust manifold. So I hope it all works good and sounds good for you.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
magnaflow single side exit exhaust will be the quietest setup.. and sound very good too!

·
Registered
262 Posts
The magnaflow muffler is 24 inches.

Using the resonator I listed will give you overall length of 38 inches total muffler at the end of the day.

At least I think that's what you are getting at.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you're going to install a header in the future, that will mean the pre-cat will be gone, and your exhaust will be LOUD and prone to droning more than before. If you put a Super turbo like suggested, it will sound good now, but horrible once the header is installed. I've never heard a Magnaflow exhaust on these trucks that I like. They sound like rice to me, especially once the pre-cat's gone. I would put the biggest chambered muffler you can find, and count on installing a small resonator when you do the header.

·
252,000+ Miles
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The magnaflow muffler is 24 inches.

Using the resonator I listed will give you overall length of 38 inches total muffler at the end of the day.

At least I think that's what you are getting at.
The reason I asked is because the magnaflow website lists the muffler with the single at 5x8x18, and the stock muffler is closer to 24. I just want quiet.

The header is definitely going to increase noise, I knew that but with a cracked manifold there's no reason not to do it at the same time as the exhaust.

Then a tune...

This website is expensive!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts