Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever consider an external fuel pump?

You can buy serious-duty electric fuel pumps that should be way stouter than the OE in-tank pump. (Moroso, etc)

As I understand it, the primary reason for in-tank pumps is to make assembly easier/cheaper.
It saves steps at the factory.

What say?

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Professional Shit Stirrer
2,736 Posts
I just swapped a Walbro F9000 into my tank last night. Bit of a squeeze if I'm honest, but it flows over 450lph. You will have to be making some serious power to outflow that little bastard and it's quiet as the stock pump.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
FPCM? I don't know what that is.
"fuel pressure control module" ???

My truck is an '05. Just replaced a leaking fuel-pressure regulator.
I'm gonna guess the FPCM is a later, post-'05 item.

I'm only running the stock 3.5L..
Plenty of fuel flow, no problem.

I'm just thinking of preventive replacement of my pump, after 9 years and 130K miles.
I'm all over the country with my truck, and at the moment (thru October) I have a nearby shop I trust. So I'm thinking of what I might want to do to keep my truck reliable.

I was only wondering about an external pump 'cause if I'm replacing the original I could possibly make it easier to deal with when/if it ever did die on me.

I'll probably just swap-in an OE replacement and call it done.
I just don't wanna wait 'till it dies somewhere in Bumfuck and leaves me stranded.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
go to SDPC's web site
AEM E85 hi-flow pump $119.99 pt#50-1200
this will work on our trucks

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
The FPCM is a bitch and a half when it comes to modding the fuel system. You cannot just swap pumps with that system in place.
So what is the process to go to the Walbro F9000 450lph? Last night while I was following links and soaking up info, I was reading where the FPCM can be adjusted via the E67 ECM with hp tuners. The guy was using the CTS-V as a reference for voltage supplied to the FPCM. I think he changed itfrom 12.5V to 15.5V to get more pressure.

I am not familure with the component other than what I have read. So im down for some education.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts