Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Internet Troll
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory fog light buckets suck.

I know the passenger side one got cracked when I hit a short retaining wall in a parking lot. This also caused my air dam to get dented which hit the lamp. It was about 15 degrees outside when it happened. I was happily able to get that dent out using a heat gun and reformed the warm plastic without breaking or tearing. I then epoxied the cracked bucket.

Over the weekend I found that my drivers side was wiggly. When I checked it, the plastic housing had cracked around the bolts holding it in place. One was completely broken free and the other was nearly enough that it broke when I took the bolts out.

I got some epoxy and fitted the plastic back in place. I also epoxied 2 large fender washers over the plastic and once set, put the fog lamp back in place. While under the truck, I also checked the one I previously repaired.

What I don't understand is what caused the plastic to crack in the first place. There was no damage and so far the rebuilt light is fine. I also know I saved myself a ton of money.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I bought the Eagle Eye brand ... Very good quality and everything it took to do the installation was under a $ 100 bucks ... I had to install everything... Mine did not come with fogs... I am very happy with them... Compared to the OEM they seem alot heavy plastic... I would just replace them if you have any more trouble out of them... Be cheaper since yours already gots them....

·
Internet Troll
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may when these fail again. I don't do like many drivers in my area and leave them on all the time. I only use them when we have inclimate weather.

I don't think they make that much difference to me in dry conditions on paved roads.

·
Registered
53 Posts
not sure why they cracked but I recently bought some LED fog light replacements from Diode Dynamics and had cut my boxes to fit the big housing and I wanted to cover the back so the LED housing wouldn't show - so by accident, while getting gas and coffee at a truck stop, when I saw the Gorilla black automotive duck tape in the trucking side of the stop. I bought a roll and used it and all through winter with snow, sludge, and salt, so far it looks new and is till holding very tight to the plastic. What a cheap fix and accidental find to a problem.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I've never had an issue with the OEM fog lights(buckets and I've had mine since 2004) :shrug:

·
Internet Troll
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still don't know what caused the other housing to fail, but they are still tight at this time.

Plastic Epoxy!!!! Great Stuff!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine have done the same and have developed a moisture problem as well. It's almost like the vibrations from driving have caused them to become loose and crack. Cheaply made IMO.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I've been wanting to do something different with these projector fogs.....
I am extremely pleased with the Diode Dynamics XML2 6000K LEDs I put in my fogs and low beams. Very bright and the perfect color and clarity. We live close enough we might be able to meet up somewhere if you want to see them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like my fog lights, one is almost half full of water at all times and the other does not work, but outside of that...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts