Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Heard and read allot of good stuff over the years on the 355 pages but have had trouble finding a definite answer on the following.

I'm taking the factory 5.3L engine, engine harness and ECU out of my wrecked 2010 4WD Colorado and putting it into my 2009 2.9L 4WD AR5 Colorado and plan to retain the manual transmission. I'd also like to have full functioning gauges and cruise if that's not to much to ask as this is my daily.

If I take the factory V8 engine harness and ECU from the 2010 V8 Coly and put it into the 2009 Coly, what tuning options should I look into in order to run the AR5 manual?
and what modification or bypassing is needed to the harness that runs to the original 4L60e?

Do I need to swap the v8 trucks fuse block as well?

Thanks in advance!

· Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I would suggest asking Current performance wiring if they have any suggestions. I would also check out the V8 Swap colorado pages on Facebook. I think there will be no issue with the engine controller and gauges as it is all 2009 and newer trucks. But, I am not sure about that.

· Premium Member
4,239 Posts
I'll do some research, but one thing you will have to do is connect the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) from the manual trans to the 2010 harness. There should be two open places in the ECM connector #3. I sent you as message.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i reached out to Current Performance and they could really only advice if i bought their harness and tuned ECM. I'm going to get my hands on pinouts and wiring schematics and attempt to modify the factory 5.3L 4L60e Coly truck harness to play nice with the AR5 (VSS, neutral, reverse, ect).

I would suggest asking Current performance wiring if they have any suggestions. I would also check out the V8 Swap colorado pages on Facebook. I think there will be no issue with the engine controller and gauges as it is all 2009 and newer trucks. But, I am not sure about that.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll do some research, but one thing you will have to do is connect the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) from the manual trans to the 2010 harness. There should be two open places in the ECM connector #3. I sent you as message.
I shot you a message but for everyone else's sake, I'm thinking the VSS on my 2009 AR5 truck should have the same output as the 2010 4l60e so maybe if i'm lucky It will be a direct fit or worse case scenario I swap the pigtails between the harnesses. My concern now is what to do with the TCM and harness being that it is integrated into the 5.3L engine harness getting swapped into the manual truck.

· Premium Member
4,239 Posts
I shot you a message but for everyone else's sake, I'm thinking the VSS on my 2009 AR5 truck should have the same output as the 2010 4l60e so maybe if i'm lucky It will be a direct fit or worse case scenario I swap the pigtails between the harnesses. My concern now is what to do with the TCM and harness being that it is integrated into the 5.3L engine harness getting swapped into the manual truck.
I sent you some info. The VSS sensors may be the same. The problem is that I think the VSS, with the auto tran, feeds to the TCM. The VSS signal for the manual tran goes directly to the ECM.

· Registered
18 Posts
Hello!

Heard and read allot of good stuff over the years on the 355 pages but have had trouble finding a definite answer on the following.

I'm taking the factory 5.3L engine, engine harness and ECU out of my wrecked 2010 4WD Colorado and putting it into my 2009 2.9L 4WD AR5 Colorado and plan to retain the manual transmission. I'd also like to have full functioning gauges and cruise if that's not to much to ask as this is my daily.

If I take the factory V8 engine harness and ECU from the 2010 V8 Coly and put it into the 2009 Coly, what tuning options should I look into in order to run the AR5 manual?
and what modification or bypassing is needed to the harness that runs to the original 4L60e?

Do I need to swap the v8 trucks fuse block as well?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
18 Posts
Sharing this on your post also so if anyone else is looking for answers they can find it.

Yup, (I think) I'll tell ya what I did, post some of the wiring diagram pics and issues so far. I also cross referenced 1badi5's info.
FYI this is for a 4x4 , VSS plugs right i to into tcase
I got her driving and she rips!!! Had to only grab 5 wires from the original 4l60 harness. 2 wires from the clutch release switch , 2 wires from the clutch depressed switch. Either spliced through or tied into a basic relay.
Then 2 wires for the reverse light. I taped into the wire harness going back to lights and 1 straight to fuse block.
I didn't have to modify the tranny cross member either.
View attachment 345321
View attachment 345317
View attachment 345320
View attachment 345318
View attachment 345319
But I got a starting issue. 1st time starting of the day no problem. If I shut her down then try to start her immediately like if I stall ( plowing ) she takes multiple times to start back up. Possible issues
1: I haven't had the pcm reprogrammed, might be VATS. Sending pcm to get fixed once snow season is done.
2: Aftermarket alarm system
3: electrical issues from my aux wiring fuse block I've I stalled. Amp/stereo, alarm, winch, lights, plow.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sharing this on your post also so if anyone else is looking for answers they can find it.

Yup, (I think) I'll tell ya what I did, post some of the wiring diagram pics and issues so far. I also cross referenced 1badi5's info.
FYI this is for a 4x4 , VSS plugs right i to into tcase
I got her driving and she rips!!! Had to only grab 5 wires from the original 4l60 harness. 2 wires from the clutch release switch , 2 wires from the clutch depressed switch. Either spliced through or tied into a basic relay.
Then 2 wires for the reverse light. I taped into the wire harness going back to lights and 1 straight to fuse block.
I didn't have to modify the tranny cross member either.
View attachment 345321
View attachment 345317
View attachment 345320
View attachment 345318
View attachment 345319
But I got a starting issue. 1st time starting of the day no problem. If I shut her down then try to start her immediately like if I stall ( plowing ) she takes multiple times to start back up. Possible issues
1: I haven't had the pcm reprogrammed, might be VATS. Sending pcm to get fixed once snow season is done.
2: Aftermarket alarm system
3: electrical issues from my aux wiring fuse block I've I stalled. Amp/stereo, alarm, winch, lights, plow.
This information is exactly what I am looking for, thank you! When I click your attachments though it says I do not have privilege's to view that thread. So are you running a factory V8/Auto harness with a manual trans? And it sounds like you cracked the code for getting your clutch pedal and tail lights working with the 4l60e pigtail?

· Registered
18 Posts
This information is exactly what I am looking for, thank you! When I click your attachments though it says I do not have privilege's to view that thread. So are you running a factory V8/Auto harness with a manual trans? And it sounds like you cracked the code for getting your clutch pedal and tail lights working with the 4l60e pigtail?
Ill try to post this all again on my original post.
Font Parallel Rectangle Pattern Engineering

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Paper

Font Parallel Pattern Paper Handwriting

Font Material property Parallel Pattern Paper

Handwriting Font Rectangle Parallel Paper

· Registered
18 Posts
reverse light just pick up a t56 pig tail harness for $10 on ebay, plugs right in. I ran 1 wire straight to the + battery and the other spliced into the reverse light wire, light green, in the harness on the frame rail. Im planning on neatening up all my wiring... under the carpet .
Musical instrument accessory Hood Trunk Automotive exterior Bumper

Helmet Tool Auto part Machine Metal

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Gas Pipe insulation Plumbing

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Automotive lighting Garden hose

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, Factory v8 harness , factory ecm and tcm.
I've been bashing my head over the fender for two days trying to figure out how to get this thing to run. Sounds like we have the exact same setup, except I took everything from my factory v8 Colorado and dropped in my 2.9L manual making it essentially the same as yours. I’m running a fabot kit too. Mine won’t even crank, just dims the gauges on key turn. I’m going to have to study your homage wiring schematic/harness and replicate it it looks like. With yours are you getting a ABS light or traction control service message? Speedo working good? Thanks a million for the help so far!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, Factory v8 harness , factory ecm and tcm.
Another question, your schematic shows a switch for the clutch pedal release and depress although factory it’s a potentiometer down there on my ‘09. Did you swap that out for a true switch for each or reuse the potentiometer on the clutch?

· Registered
18 Posts
I used the clutch petal assembly that came with 2004 , it has 2 switches , 1 clutch depress on top and 1 clutch release ( cruise control release sw) on bottom. Both are just simple momentary switches.
Font Parallel Electronic device Screenshot Diagram

Font Screenshot Output device

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check engine light only here are the codes View attachment 345375
I’ve got a few more codes
did you pick up a clutch pedal assembly from an early model or just the switches? Right now I’ve got mine going to some toggles in the cab to simulate the pedal movement. Mine wants to do the same yours does; fires right up at the beginning of the day but then won’t even crank randomly after I shut it down later.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts