Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving full size trucks for the last 20 years, getting accustomed to a mid size has been a challenge. Although my '04 Colly CC has ample interior space, I feel a bit limited when it comes to packing for a Boy Scout camping trip, picking up materials at the local lumber yard or loading bikes for a family of 4. I needed a solution to make all of this more manageable.

A buddy at work has a Mitsu Raider and made a solid false floor. This got the wheels turning and I started pondering the possibilities. My initial requirements were:

-Removable
-Full length storage top and bottom
-Transport of 2 adult road bikes and 2 kids bikes
-All weather (I want to leave it in most of the time)
-Finished look
-Compatible with tonneau cover or camper shell
-Cheap (I don't want to pay aftermarket prices)

I just got started last night with two sheets of plywood (3/8" and 1/2") and a hand full of t-nuts and screws. There isn't much to show right now, all I have done so far is cut a few strips and the initial platform.

This project will likely take a while. I have some big ideas that I am still researching, so my initial work will be geared toward basic functionality. later in the project, I'll be incorporating some value added features which I will elaborate on later. I'll be working on it as time and money allow.

I started this thread to add to and benefit from the knowledge and experience on the forums. If there is a similar thread that I didn't find while searching, I would LOVE to see it. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Initial pics will come later today.

Mac

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, would I love to have a trailer! I just don't have a place to keep one.

Here are a few pics of my progress so far.

A few pieces cut up along with hardware

Mock up of rails

Side view of initial mock up

And a rear view of the initial mock up. There is quite a bow in the deck at this point. Simple solution would be to rip a strip of plywood to brace it. I am considering using a furring strip, secured in the middle and arced to brace against the bed side. Still have some studying to do on this.

The deck is 1/2" ply with 3/8" backing the strips where hinges will be installed. The hinge strips are secured with 10-24x1" oval head, stainless screws and t-nuts with stainless trim washers.

I am most definitely thinking with my hands here. Now that I have gotten this far, I already have some modifications in mind.

Mac

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Cool fab project!
In for updates..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roll on bedliner
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That is in consideration, along with a couple of deck restoration products. It kind of depends on what will give me the most bang for the buck. I am trying to keep the cost down and a local boat shop may be able to hook me up with some remnants, it just depends on what they have available. Bed liner does have the advantage of being a simpler process.

Mac

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bedrug looks nice. You can buy just the material direct from Bedrug.
I definitely like the look. That could also be good on the bottom to keep the box from rubbing.

Looks like work will stall for a bit. This weekend was a wash, vacation is next week and I'll be out of town most of the following week. The only work that will be getting done for the next 3 weeks will be conceptual.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I've had a Bedrug in my '05 crew since it was new.

It's under a tonneau cover, but has seen a lot of use.
Still looks like new. Great product, one of smartest purchases I've ever made!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry it's been so long, life got in the way and this project had to go on the back burner for the time being. I hope to get a little more done in the next few weeks. For the time being, no more progress has been made. I'll add more as I go but progress may be very slow.

xkmax86- I am just mocking up the idea and thinking with my hands right now. I did want to see how the lay up would hold but it did what I figured it would. The Support structure will take shape after I work out a few more details.

Mac

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am working on a plan to have compartments to keep things from shifting around too much. That will provide the structure to support the deck.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
try 1x1" square tubing for cross bows to hold that plywood from bowing down.
Home Depot sells it cheap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts