Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible for that part to make an intermittent chirp like a bearing would?

I first replaced alt because there was a tick in the pulley when I spun by hand. No dice.

Then I did the water pump, feeling the noise was from there, and thinking the fan clutch couldn't make that kind of noise, as there is no bearing in it. Wrong again.

Not the end of the world to have replaced those parts, as I have 200k km, but still kinda stings...

Newer ps pump, belt, and tensioner, no ac, no noise when motor run with no belt, so main bearing good.

When I put in my new water pump last night, I ran the motor with no fan clutch, and no noise. Put fan clutch on, noise. So, very likely I've found the culprit, but I really didn't think it could make a noise like that.

What say you?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mean #4 in the picture below?

That idler pulley is only for trucks with AC I believe, and I don't have AC, so don't have that pulley.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same squeeling problem, I have replaced the P/S pump, the tensioner, the belt, the idler pulley, the water pump, the fan clutchh and the fan blades and it still makes the damn squeel. Really loud when cold and still noticable after its warmed up I have no idea what the heck is causing it and the truck only has 66k miles on it. I5 with an auto if that matters....

·
Registered
163 Posts
I haven't lookind into it or replaced anything but I have the same noise. When it is cold the squeak/chirp is loud and when the truck warms up it goes away.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got something similar as well. Sounds like pulley 8 but who knows for sure. Just started a month after I bought the truck and is pretty loud at start up but is noticeable at idle or at speed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Same thing here. 2005 I5 with 65,000 miles on it. It does it when it starts and goes away, but I'd rather it not do it at all. The belt tensioner has just been replaced.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like a very recurring problem, today I took the belt off and started the engine and it still made a squeek for about 1 second then nothing. So I put the belt back on and started it and it made the same squeek for 1 sec then went away. I think because it was 102 degrees outside it was already warm enough that it wasnt making the noise constantly becuase when I went to work at midnight after it had cooled off 20 degrees outside it was making the squeek again till it warmed up the engine half way to work.

So with that inconclusive data, I'm going to wait for a cooler day and try it all over again. Starting to think there maybe something messed up with the balancer. I don't know =/

Oh I ordered a GoodYear Gator back belt for the truck also, should be here within the week. I'll see if that helps any.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So while having a code checked at advanced last night the guy heard my squealing and tells me, "oh your power steering pump is going out." i hadnt even opened the hood and thats exactly where i hear the squeal. Intrigued i listened to his "fix." "Here, pour this (lucas ps fluid) in there after 'ya drain the ol' stuff out, it'll fix her up and stop that sound." So i figured for 10 bucks what could it hurt, i dont know when it was changed anyways. So i siphoned it out which i realize is not the correct way but anyways i filled it back up AND!!!!!!!! its still the same. Back to square one.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Tensioner arm and pulley, even if you have already replaced it. I went through 3 the last time I bought them before I got one that didn't squeal and then 2 month later it started anyway.

Buy the ACDelco one from a GM parts dealer online, those daycos have gone down the toilet in quality compared to what they sold a few years back when Gerry made the how to.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tensioner arm and pulley, even if you have already replaced it. I went through 3 the last time I bought them before I got one that didn't squeal and then 2 month later it started anyway.

Buy the ACDelco one from a GM parts dealer online, those daycos have gone down the toilet in quality compared to what they sold a few years back when Gerry made the how to.
other than the horrid squeal are there any adverse effects? If its just annoying im not as worried about getting to it right away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts