Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Fan clutch squeal

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  crazystevex 
#1 ·
When I start up my truck in the morning it squeals really bad. The higher the RPMs, it gets louder and faster. As it warms up it squeals less and less, and eventually goes away. It is worse when it is colder, and my fan is always on, even right at start up. I just wanted to make sure it isn't anything else before I replace the fan clutch. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

#2 ·
Get a long handle screwdriver or handle, like a broom handle but shorter, to use as a stethescope. Touch it against all of your pulley's with the other end at your ear.
Listen for the one the most noisy.
I'd point to the idler pulley before the clutch. Or maybe even a belt.
However who knows how many miles are on the truck or if the belt is already new/replaced.

Investigate first. Purchase parts later.

You fan will always spin, always.

I just wanted to make sure it isn't anything else......
We can't answer that since we don't know what it is.

#3 ·
The fans in our trucks turn constantly so your fan clutch may be fine. You can tell when it's engaged because your fan will make a kind of roaring noise that will vary with your RPM.

As for the squealing, that almost sounds like your tensioner is going bad to me. Check the belt. Does it look shiny on one side or the other? That will also help diagnose the problem since the idler, tension, and water pump pulleys are flat, not ribbed.

Normally when I've had pulleys start going bad they chirp, almost like a cricket and it actually gets worse as the engine warms up and the grease thins out.

#4 ·
I have the same thing going on with mine. I have a new tensioner, belt, idle pullys, and I replaced the PS pump because it sounded like the squeal was coming from there but it wasn't. I noticed that my fan has an intermitten vibration to it while the engine is running and it appeared to be slightly moveable by hand (after the engine was off of course). So tomorrow I going to replace the fan clutch. Truck is 2009 with 3.7 and has 65k miles on it btw

Did this solve your squeal?

G
#7 ·
Hello crazystevex,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information, so I'm glad to see forum members are beginning to step in with feedback. If you have any lingering concerns please contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

#8 ·
Wow, after using a fan clutch impact wrench, heating the nut with a torch and anything else we could think of I had to use a saw to cut the nut off the fan clutch to remove it from the water pump...Im not sure what 40 ft. lbs. of torque translates into where ever Colorado's are assembled but that thing might as well have been welded onto the water pump shaft. So after replacing the fan clutch and the water pump it still squeaks like before...

What are the odds of a brand new tensioner being bad sounding exactly like the factory one? I'm out of ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.