Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I have noticed recently that I will be driving down the road and out of nowhere, my ABS light will come on and the truck will throw "traction fault" and "abs fault". Turning off the truck and turning it back on clears it, and I don't see it again for a while. And when I say a while, I mean literally a week to multiple months apart. However, the last time it happened, my actual brake light came on, with the same "fault" messages, and my method of turning off and starting the truck again "fixed" it. Input at all guys/gals?

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Any number of things could be causing the intermittent condition that you are experiencing. It could be a pending failure of the EBCM. It could be a wire pinched/chaffed somewhere. It could be a bad ground connection. It could be corrosion in a connector. It could even be related to the installation of an aftermarket head unit. Maybe next time it occurs, before you restart it, you could get it "scanned" and see what DTCs are set. That might lead to a more accurate diagnosis.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This happened a few times on my s10. It was the transmission speed sensor. It could also be an ABS speed sensor. They have very similar signs of being an issue, transmission shifts late/early, e-brake/ABS light comes on randomly, speedometer "waves" at you, and one of the worst problems, the automatic transmission won't shift out of first gear.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
The next time it happens have it scanned so you know what the actual fault (DTC) code is. Make sure that a scanner that can capture ABS codes is used, as not all scanners can grab ABS codes. Once you have the DTC code it's going to be much easier to troubleshoot the issue without spending money on parts that you don't need. Some ABS faults are simple to correct, while other issues can be more involved.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quick question, can a battery that is going bad cause this issue? The reason i ask is because i shut my truck off and turned it back on and the "fault" went away but my radio had reset then again nothing points to my battery going bad, suppose i can have it tested if need be.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received a recall notice from GM regarding the SRS lights and some wiring issues. They say if you believe you're having this issue take to your local dealer for repair/replace wiring harnesses for SRS and in rear doors. This notice came to me about a week ago
I'll scan and upload for reference. Thanks to all!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
My intermittent ABS Fault would go away after 5 or 6 restarts. Come back on a few days/weeks later then go away again after a few restarts. This mostly occurred in winter and when I slid on a slow stop but also less on dry warm days. Had it scanned and the shop told me it was left front speed sensor. Since ABS still worked on Connecticut icy roads, I lived with it for a while. After replacing front hubs with new speed sensors..... has not come back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts