Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys Ivan here,this post is gonna be a long one so stay with me.Lets start with a little intro. I live in Charlotte, North Carolina.I'm a college student majoring in AAS Biomedical Technology.How i got my Colorado ,well lets go back to last year February. I'm driving to a bank in my 03 GMC Sonoma (S10), when i was making a left turn into the paring lot i was struck by a Buick .She T into me ,reason she was on the phone. All said and done it was totaled .

Well I made a very tough decisions to give the 'Noma to the insurance and take the money.After a long search for a new truck my friend found me a clean low miles Colorado in Raleigh.So in the beginning of April a got my new to me truck. Here it is at first day with it at work (Sorry for crappy cell pics)

So the ride is:
2005 Chevrolet Colorado Z85 Extended Cab
2.8L Engine and 5 speed manual
Color: Victory Red (before buying the truck i never liked RED ,now I love anything red.
Here it is Today

Well, a good place to start but it has some flaws
Paint is shot ,front end in sandblasted

Lots of swirls , scratches and water spots

Then I added this (was at Auto-fair ,paying attention to folks waking by, ran into the neighbors truck :th_s52: The guy was cool, were my truck rubbed on the bumper was a polished spot)

Truck Bed seen better days(fireman sticker is from previous owner,got me out of some possible tickets)

Interior: Smells like dog ,dirty ,bunch of coffee stains (i hope)

Mods I've Done so far
Bench to Bucket seat swap (Their was a guy parting out a crew cab so I picked up seat, 2 complete doors,and a radio bezel.)

SSK short shifter and Hurst knob

Flip the third brake light

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok let's continue.If i have this beside a mod (?) I have a future question about the mod
Future Mod List
Exterior:
Repaint front bumper and add "the mustache"
Canyon grill with SS insert (?)
Custom headlights (?)
Smooth fuel door (?)
color matched mirrors and door handles
Xreme body kit (wish list)
Soft tonneau cover
bed liner or insert (undecided)
All brake lights LED
Roll pan
Windshield polished
Door glass tinted
Paint fixed and buffed
Wheels: Enkei M6 OR ST6 (wish list)
Interior
Audio: replace speakers and add a sub
All LED lights
Add factory power windows and locks
Engine
Haven't thought about
Suspension
Front lower 3' with Qa1's ( if i can find them )
Back Blocks 2' ( i like to have the rake ,up to change )
That's it. Keep in mind that am a college student and budget is tight. For most mods i have to save up. Hopefully with your guys encouragement i can get the truck to were i want it to be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today was a crazy day.Got a set of use tire for the front and back.:D

I'm half way on mod that i've been working on so i'm going to share it .So far most of my mods are in the interior , i'm going to continue them.I always wanted a carputer.Since tablets are popular and easy to find that what i'm going with .Tablet :Nexus 7 1st gen .Here is were a previously mentioned bezel comes in. I made a mold of the tablet

Tape the mold to the bezel and trim of any extra plasic
Before

After

I started with a stone in the dremel and got carried away,switched to a sanding roll.Were i messed up at i'll fill it in with epoxy.

then fill in all the imperfections, their was a lot of air bubbles.

Total of 4 coat of filler then primed and glued

After testing the fit of the tablet i dropped it and cracked the digitiser:th_s52:
Next i'll fill in the edges and smoothed them out .
Do you guys like this much detail or not ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
agreed. i like when people take a lot of progress pics. ive always liked the carputer idea, and wanted to do something similiar with mine later on...well see how that goes. are you going to run it into an amp for speakers in the truck? if so, make it detailed as well...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are you going to run it into an amp for speakers in the truck? if so, make it detailed as well...
Well in going to run it into a head unit ,having a cable connection and Bluetooth, from HU to amp to speakers.Keep checking on me .Hopefully if the weather gets warmer just a little bit i can finish by next Friday

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.Hopefully if the weather gets warmer just a little bit i can finish by next Friday
:yeahthat::lmaop:
No real update ,i ordered a new digitizer for the tablet and some other stuff for that project
Thinking ahead for the next mod I want to ask this question since i got he truck ,it's bin bugging me for a while .WHAT will happen if i place a projector into the high beam side and run low beams ?Of course with proper adjustments.Is it possible yes/no Why is low beam on the farther side of the headlight ? I can invision the truck that way ,actually a while back i grabbed a photo of blurred truck and flipped his headlamps 180 in photoshop,it looked sick.So what do you think guys .All ideas are welcomed

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
Re: FieldMechanic's Project Build - Crazy Idea

Don't really think that there is a specific reason for it honestly. Especially since when you hit the brights, if you haven't modified the wiring, you have the high beams only on.

·
Roll Damn Tide!
631 Posts

Keep up the nice work, just remember, sometimes its the little mods that can make a big difference.

·
Darth Vader
5,223 Posts

Nice work so far. I need to make a trip up to Charlotte soon :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I've been slowly doing things in-spite of no updates.I drove to my buddy's shop ,pulled all the wheels off, washed, waxed and balance them.

This week i pulled the front end apart,washed every thing and treated the valance with "wipe new " then the same friend help me paint the "mustache" with plasti dip

Tablet/Carputer; Feeled all gaps and the edges with epoxy.

Made a single din box for the radio out of cardstock

Something i learned building Pepakura models (if can't see it it's a Iron Man helmet,one day i'll finish )

Fiberglass the box in

Some stuff came in for this project : Pioneer HU ,digitizer and bezel, and dock

Another thing i picked up a set of rear bumper pads ,i only need the center one so if you want the side ones pm me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts