Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. My name is Bryan. I'm 28 and Just bought a used 2008 Chevy Colorado 2.9L.

I fell in love with the truck when I drove my sister's. I just bought this beauty last night.
I joined to learn some new things. Unfortunately I've nothing to share of my own experience. But I hope to learn allot here from everyone.

Not a mechanic, I can do bolt on...maybe. but I'll most likely be paying a professional for any mods.

I don't plan on ever getting rid of this truck.
I just have some minor frame repair needed due to rust.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
321 Posts
Welcome! There is tons to learn on here from the long time guys.

There are always things to do to get a used vehicle up to snuff. We will also have plenty of tips on your frame repairs. There are several really good threads on that. Are you going to have to do some cutting and welding to replace rotted sections, or just a descaling and coating? Crawl under there and get us some pics and we can help. If you have a friend with a lift, even better!

What kind of updates/mods are you looking at?

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
Hello everybody. My name is Bryan. I'm 28 and Just bought a used 2008 Chevy Colorado 2.9L.

I fell in love with the truck when I drove my sister's. I just bought this beauty last night.
I joined to learn some new things. Unfortunately I've nothing to share of my own experience. But I hope to learn allot here from everyone.

Not a mechanic, I can do bolt on...maybe. but I'll most likely be paying a professional for any mods.

I don't plan on ever getting rid of this truck.
I just have some minor frame repair needed due to rust. View attachment 343477
View attachment 343478
View attachment 343479
View attachment 343477 View attachment 343478 View attachment 343479
Welcome to the Nation.

You can probably lose that ugly front plate holder. Is that a native Georgia truck?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No this truck came from up north and has frame rust but mostly on the driver's side.
But I think only one section will have to be cut. It is unfortunately near the rear driver wheel where the leaf springs are bolted on.

I'm not driving it until I get it repaired. I'd rather not take the risk. I already went broke just to buy it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yep, that is where they go. Getting it fixed before you put the truck on the road is obviously the correct decision. The repairs are pretty significant and will require good fabrication skills to get it solid. Definitely not a lost cause, but needs attention.
There are a few examples of that repair when you search around here. Some have opted for a frame replacement, but that is a hard part to find exactly what you need in good condition. Its also a pretty expensive proposition.

The rust in the rocker panels is very normal too. That is mostly cosmetic, but it can progress quickly up the corners of the cab.

Where are you living now? If you're in the south, you can slow the corrosion progression better that you can in the north. It will claim your truck, and all of ours, eventually.

You are in for a good project here, you will learn a lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, that is where they go. Getting it fixed before you put the truck on the road is obviously the correct decision. The repairs are pretty significant and will require good fabrication skills to get it solid. Definitely not a lost cause, but needs attention.
There are a few examples of that repair when you search around here. Some have opted for a frame replacement, but that is a hard part to find exactly what you need in good condition. Its also a pretty expensive proposition.

The rust in the rocker panels is very normal too. That is mostly cosmetic, but it can progress quickly up the corners of the cab.

Where are you living now? If you're in the south, you can slow the corrosion progression better that you can in the north. It will claim your truck, and all of ours, eventually.

You are in for a good project here, you will learn a lot.
I'm in southern Georgia close to the border of Florida. And the rocker panels and bumpers will be replaced with a full body kit in the future. But until then I'm going to clean it off and prime it so it doesn't continue. And I'm only going to have it cut out. Not worried about the whole frame. I don't have much money. So I'm going cheap until I can afford better.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Excellent, you are in a favorable location! Us folks in the north are in a constant battle with the winter and road salt to keep our vehicles looking nice and structurally sound.
You have the right idea to clean up and prime the existing rust to keep it from getting worse quickly. Cut away the flaky rust and the coat the rest with a rust reformer. I like the rustoleum product, but there are several options to chemically stop the rust and turn it into a paintable surface. Then coat it with an undercoating to help seal it away from moisture. Be generous with that too. When you install a body kit later that will conceal the area, and you dont want to have surprises showing up later after all that work.
There are replacement rocker panels out there that you can cut/weld in, if you want to. I reinforced my 08 ext cab rocker with fiberglass to buy me some more time. Since I have my rockers coated with bedliner, I didnt have to be perfect with the surface work either. :)
I want to keep my trucks for a long while too. With how silly the used vehicle market is now, I am expecting my trucks to outlast the current situation and allow me the time to pick up something newer that wont cost an arm and leg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't weld unfortunately. But there are plenty of decent body shops and performance shops.

I hope to make this into a beautiful show truck one day. Planning on an engine swap in the future.

Just trying to come up with paint schemes and find a body kit that doesn't look like it has a big bottom lip. 🤣
I want it nice and sleek. With actual fog lights not those fake amber LEDs.

To be honest though, it's pretty powerful for just a four cylinder engine. Didn't expect that much out of it.

·
2 timer
1,445 Posts
Greetings and Welcome.

Reactions: NuckingFuts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts