Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey so I have a 2006 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab LT Z71 4x4, and I just ordered 16/8 wheels with a 2-3 inch leveling kit.
I was deciding whether to get 265/75/r16 tires or to get bigger with 285/75/r16. However I dont know if that wide of a tire will fit.

If anyone has any input let me know please! thank you

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Fitment usually depends on backspace/offset of the wheels.

265/75R16 will fit as long as the backspace isn't too much.

285/75R16 will require trimming/cutting most likely and even less backspace than the 265s.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
The cab to frame mount behind the front tire almost always gets in the way when using a wider tire. Also a leveling kit (torsion bar lift) brings the front tires closer to the frame/sway bar increasing the chance of rubbing.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Plenty of threads discussing this topic. Just search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fitment usually depends on backspace/offset of the wheels.

265/75R16 will fit as long as the backspace isn't too much.

285/75R16 will require trimming/cutting most likely and even less backspace than the 265s.
The wheels will have a "0" offset. Is there an easy option as far as lifting it so they will fit?

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
0 offset is good for the 265s. For the 285s it will probably rub the cab mount and will rub some of the fender/wheel well plastic and the front bumper plastic. The plastic can be easily trimmed. The cab mount can be cut back too. Some have even heated it up and beat it back with a hammer if the rubbing is minor.

Torsion bar lift is the easiest way to lift. A body lift can be done to move the fenders up out of the way but the cab mount and bumper plastic will still need to the trimmed and cut.

My truck is lifted 4 inches with a sub frame lift kit and I still had to trim a little plastic to fit 285s.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i fit 265s on my Z85 on 16x8s 0 offset no rubbing at all, i did tbar crank and AALs

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Stick with the 265/75-16 wheel and be done. The wheel/tire combination with a torsion bar lift and shackles will be a great match.

Remember, with the 285 width option, you are also gaining height. It it not simply just a wider tire. If you are determined to run a wider tire, you should consider seeing if there are tire options with a lesser sidewall so you can more easily get away with the wider tire scenario.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stick with the 265/75-16 wheel and be done. The wheel/tire combination with a torsion bar lift and shackles will be a great match.

Remember, with the 285 width option, you are also gaining height. It it not simply just a wider tire. If you are determined to run a wider tire, you should consider seeing if there are tire options with a lesser sidewall so you can more easily get away with the wider tire scenario.
I found a Nitto Trail Grappler MT 285/70/r16 that is a 31.89 inch in height and 11.50 wide. I feel like that wouldn't be too difficult to fit...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts