Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Flip Key Remote ?

Only RKE transmitters programmed to the vehicle will work. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased and
programmed through your dealer. When the replacement transmitter is programmed to the vehicle, all remaining transmitters must also be
programmed. Any lost or stolen transmitters no longer work once the new transmitter is programmed.
Each vehicle can have up to four transmitters programmed to it.
Programming Transmitters to the Vehicle

This is from the owners manual, only the dealer can program. Well you might find a locksmith that has the right equipment.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts

According to the information on the link that you posted, the remote will have to be programmed by a TECH II, either at a Dealer, Locksmith or Shop. All of your other remotes will require re-programming at the same time.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Does that one clear the column shifter?

Yes it clears the stock column shifter by about an inch or more and seems to be a well made flip key remote.

Also it's a bit narrower than the remote key in the picture you posted above.

The local stealers want a hundred bucks per key to program it, so purchasing a Tech-II might be the best choice if it will work to program four keys.

I found a good deal on a Tech-II here: 2014 GM TECH2 scanner software(GM,OPEL,SAAB ISUZU,SUZUKI HOLDEN) Full Set Vetronix gm tech 2 with Candi Interface free shipping-in Diagnostic Tools from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

Wonder if it would clear the SSK shifter. That has been my hesitation on doing the flip key

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

A locksmith will be much less expensive than the dealer. You're going to spend $350 on a Tech2 to save spending $50 for programing? That doesn't make much sense to me unless you are planning to make money with the tech2.
I need to program two old remotes and two flip key remotes at the same time and don't want to pay four times for the programming. The local locksmith's all wanted $100 to $125 per key and I was actually contemplating a purchase of the GM Tech-II before the remote issue. I'm not the type of person that takes a vehicle to the stealership for service work and would rather do it all myself. I'm sure this $350 GM Tech-II will eventually pay for itself over time.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts

Read around more before buying that Tech 2 from China. Let's just say there's a reason it's 350...cause it's not actually a Tech 2.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts

You may find some clues on this post. This guy has successfully done key fob by using Tech2 scanner. GM Tech 2 Scanner & Key Fobs - Chevy Cobalt Forum / Cobalt Reviews / Cobalt SS / Cobalt Parts
I don't think that the question is whether on not a Tech 2 scanner can be used to program a remote. That is what GM uses. The question is whether on not a CLONE Tech 2 scanner is capable of doing it. There are a bunch of fake Tech 2 scanners being sold on Ebay and they generally have bad reviews, due to limited capabilities. I haven't seen any reports regarding the update capabilities of the fake scanners.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts

Well if your set on doing this and others say it work.......guess you can try.

If you buy on eBay and pay with Paypal and the item doesn't work.......try and return it, if not place the claim thru Paypal......... could be a epic waste of time though when all is said and done

·
CALI BOSS
6,309 Posts

Our Terrain has the flip-key. I am not a fan of it

·
Why?...'Merica!
3,134 Posts

I want one of those touchless key systems like my wife's BMW has. She just keeps the key in her purse and when she walks up to it and grabs the door handle it unlocks. When she gets out she just closes the door and touches the handle again and it locks. No key in the ignition either. I know a lot of new cars are like that now. I bet it would be crazy expensive to do that to the truck :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts