Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey 355,

So I have a 05 crew cab z71 2wd automatic and I just did a fluid change for the auto trans.
It was shifting fine before I decided to do the change but now it wont go into any gear. It will let me take it out of park just fine but none of the gears will engage. The truck is still on ramps would the angle of the truck make it so it wouldn't pick up the fluid right?

I didn't unplug or knock any sensors as far as I know. Any ideas? Should I try to push it off the ramps?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I would put it on level ground and then check fluid levels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would put it on level ground and then check fluid levels.
I brought it down.

Fluid level looks a little bit high but it is on slightly uneven ground so I was expecting that.

I dropped the pan and filter then I filled it back up with 5 qts.

It must have gone out of park into neutral though cuz I was able to push it off the ramps.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Made sure that filter way properly (fully) seated before buttoning it up? If it fell out that could cause issues

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check shift solenoid
How do I check the solenoid?

Made sure that filter way properly (fully) seated before buttoning it up? If it fell out that could cause issues
I put it in there pretty tight but I guess there is always the possibility that it moved around.
Not looking forward to wasting all my fluid just to check.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If one of the solenoids was bad wouldn't it still shift into one of the gears? It won't go into any drive gear, including reverse.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
Did you remove the old seal before pushing the new filter and seal up in there? Sometimes you have to carefully cave it in and use needle nose pliers to remove the old seal. Then carefully align and tap the new seal in with a same diameter socket and hammer before pusbing the new filter in the hole. If there is any leak there that doesnt allow fluid to be sucked up into the transmission, then it could/would cause this.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I would not be laying under that truck unless the wheels are chalked and/or the parking brake is applied.

How does it 'accidentally' end up in neutral? If the trans is 'disconnected', there is nothing to prevent it from rolling over you while you're troubleshooting.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
If you didnt mess with solenoids, then I wouldn't chase that until you have exhausted possible issues with the things you did mess with. The angle wouldnt matter on functionality. They shift on hills all the time.

Money is on fluid not being pulled up the filter tube due to a loss in suction from a leaking seal. I will be replacing my pan when I do a transmission fluid change with one that has a drain plug. I hate the mess...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you remove the old seal before pushing the new filter and seal up in there? Sometimes you have to carefully cave it in and use needle nose pliers to remove the old seal. Then carefully align and tap the new seal in with a same diameter socket and hammer before pusbing the new filter in the hole. If there is any leak there that doesnt allow fluid to be sucked up into the transmission, then it could/would cause this.
I left the old one in because I couldn't get it out. I guess I got to drop the damn thing again and check it tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would not be laying under that truck unless the wheels are chalked and/or the parking brake is applied.

How does it 'accidentally' end up in neutral? If the trans is 'disconnected', there is nothing to prevent it from rolling over you while you're troubleshooting.
I'm not stupid. It was on ramps with lips, it was in park, the ebrake was on and the wheels were chalked.

I am not very knowledgeable about diagnosing auto transmissions thus why I am here.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
I left the old one in because I couldn't get it out. I guess I got to drop the damn thing again and check it tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
They are seated in there really good. I carefully take a small bladed flat head screwdriver and put it on the corner edge of the old seal. I the lightly, but firmly, tap on the handle of the screw driver. BE VERY CAREFUL HERE! If you slip and score up the aluminum where the seal seats into, then you can make it leak behind the seal. It would have to be a big gouge probably, but none the less it could happen. It will also be really hard to get the new one tapped in there with a burr. Once it starts to cave in, be careful too. It might start to spin as you tap it. It can also cause you to slip and score the aluminum.

Dont let this discourage you either. Just use caution, have patience, and dont give up. Walk away for a few minutes if it still wont comply with your requests to come out. I have to walk away a lot... lol

If that doesn't resolve the issue, chase the solenoids.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I'm not stupid. It was on ramps with lips, it was in park, the ebrake was on and the wheels were chalked.

I am not very knowledgeable about diagnosing auto transmissions thus why I am here.
Didn't say you were stupid.

But this is the internet and people don't always think through what they are doing when they attempt do it yourself maintenance. I read stupid stuff every day on here.

Plus you neglected to provide all that information earlier. You simply said you pushed it off the ramps.

Sorry, just looking out for your well being (and maybe some info for others as a reminder to pay attention to safety).

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Common sense say that if everything was operating normally before you did the work, something that you did caused the problem. Coincidental failure of associated components is possible, but not probable. Did you use an OEM (ACDelco) filter or aftermarket? Others have reused the old seal without experiencing problems. The filter requires some force to get by the seal so perhaps it was just stuck in position and subsequently fell after the fluid was added.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Common sense say that if everything was operating normally before you did the work, something that you did caused the problem. Coincidental failure of associated components is possible, but not probable. Did you use an OEM (ACDelco) filter or aftermarket? Others have reused the old seal without experiencing problems. The filter requires some force to get by the seal so perhaps it was just stuck in position and subsequently fell after the fluid was added.
Perhaps. I am going to check it out in an hour or so and figure out what the hell went wrong.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts