Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this the differential?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Automotive wheel system

If so it's obviously leaking were I have bottomed out on something.This is my daily driver so I got to get this fixed pretty soon. Can I buy this and replace that whole front because it looks like it's pretty messed up.
Output device Font Gadget Audio equipment Peripheral

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yes, that's the trucks front differential. Hard to assess if any other damage besides the cover has been done. If that's it you should be able to replace it, however there's not much room to work up there.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I've read here that the differential cover can't be removed without dropping the entire differential down a little bit. If I were in your shoes, I would remove the drain plug at the bottom (looks like a square hole that a ratchet fits into). Once the fluid is drained out, I'd loosen all the bolts holding the cover on and completely remove the one with the damage around it and squeeze a butt-load of permatex all around that area and tighten up all the bolts, fill the fluid and hit the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I managed to get the leak stop for now. The differential is cover under my warranty I have so I pay $75 and they replace the whole thing. I am also going to have the fix my U joints to cause it's just a flat rate of $75 for however many things are wrong.. I took a hammer and lightly tapped the bottom of it back into place and tightened that bolt down pretty good. It hasn't had a drop come out in a couple hours. Now how long that will hold I have no idea. I went to the lake this weekend and did alot of mudding I had to have hit a rock and did it. Is there anything else I should think of having them replace while I am paying for the service??

Here is what it looks like now. There is a part of the gasket that is wedged out we're it was cracked but still no leak.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Tread

And here is a pic of how my truck looked after having a little fun and evidently tearing it up in the process.
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Those Wildpeaks did really good. Even got to rescue a Jeep. He didn't think I was going to be able to pull him. He was smiling ear to ear when I got him out of a 8ft hole.

Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
With mudding like that I would think about getting the front diff guard from badlandindustries. Probably wouldve prevented the damage that did happen.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I've pulled a few folks out of mud. I love pulling full size F-150's out of a mud pit with my little 5 cylinder truck!! I met my boys out in the woods at a little .22 firing range we've put together on a friends property. The path leading to it was really swamped out. After pulling my son in his crew cab F-150 out of a few puddles he got out to unhood the tow strap and I told him to just leave it on and I pulled him a couple of miles down the trail until we reached pavement!! It was a blast!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts