Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I pushed it through the windy canyons of Malibu today and after about an hours worth of beating, it started to creak like never before. Even when just cranking on the steering wheel caused it to creak.

Izzy said it could very well be the balljoints, I'm not 110% sure, but I don't remember it creaking when Hannibal and I first dropped it with the balljoints and ZQ8 coils.

I remember it starting to creak a little while after we put in the cut Z85 coils with the balljoints to get the front end back up an inch.

So my question is, can coils cause it to creak or is it more likely to be balljoints?

Also, being that I've hit many nasty bumps to where my front wheels smashed up against my fender wells (I hit them so hard, I pretty much thought my truck just fell apart), I'm thinking that my shock(s) could be shot. Could a blown shock also cause creaking?

I'm also only noticing it from my driver's side wheel. I don't think any sound is being emitted from the passenger wheel.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
will blown shocks will give u a bouncy ride.. i don't know about u having that. could be something needs some lubing.. i gotta hear the sound for myself to tell. sorry man

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No worries, Colorado 83. :)

OK, so as soon as I posted this, I just couldn't sit around. The creaking was so bad, I had to see what was up.

First thing I did was head to Pepboys to pick up a 90* bend for my grease gun.

Hooked it up and got to work.

After two pumps, a small bead of grease oozed out of the lower balljoint boot. I gave it one more and that was that.

I hoped inside and cranked it. As soon as I turned the steering wheel to the right to give me access to the passenger wheel, I noticed no creaking.

I greased up the passengers side with a few pumps and that was that.

However, I also noticed a small bead ooze out of the boot on that side as well.

I'm obviously no expert, but these boots shouldn't be cracked, correct?

Anyway, so I lowered the truck back to the ground and shook it. Creaking was still there, but 10 folds less.

So I hopped in and went for a drive. No serious creaking, but I do hear a small creak every so often -- very faint.

I went around the block, pulled in and got out. Shook the truck and noticed the creaking was much less than before the test drive. So it was definitely the balljoints. Just need to know if these boots should or shouldn't have these tiny fractures in them.

Thanks for posting! :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
the boots shouldn't not have any cracks to my knowledge.. they are there to keep shit away from the ball joint and hold the grease... u should change those boots if u can. it would suck for u to buy freakin new ball joints..

good luck man

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I was talking to DB and he said that the boots have to have those small cracks to allow the old grease to ooze out.

I believe there are two "cracks" per balljoint boot.

Anyway, so I gave the driver's side balljoint more grease to allow the old grease to ooze out and then proceeded to lube the lower control arm bushings. Doused those with a bit of WD-40 (that's the only type of spray lube I had) and gave it a shake.

There was a faint creak, but no where near where it used to be.

I went for a test drive and experienced no creaks the entire drive. I got back home, shook the living hell out of the truck and nothing! No creaks whatsoever!! :D

Thanks for your guys' input!! Much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
:shrug: glad I could help

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
no prob man.. hell i just learned that their are cracks in the boots.. hmm kinda fig thats what its for.. but i thought like big cracks..

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I still worry about cha man.... those balljoints shouldn't creak like that... not this soon. Hows that lower balljoint look when your sitting at ride height? Its not binding at all is it? You are pretty low.

I would call Belltech and ask them, maybe they're warrantable.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought them used from ColoradoTom. He said they had 4,000 miles on them.

When I brought them over to Hannibal's place, before we put them in, he said they looked like they were in good condition.

I went outside real quick and got a couple shots. I parked the truck on as level ground as I could.

Warning -- large file sizes:

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I guess they look ok.

I really don't understand why Belltech didn't just make drop spindles for these trucks instead of drop balljoints where everything including the tie rod angles changed and now theres more chance of bumpsteer. Had the spindles been dropped the tie rods coulda remained in stock location as designed. OH well offtopic.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I guess they look ok.

I really don't understand why Belltech didn't just make drop spindles for these trucks instead of drop balljoints where everything including the tie rod angles changed and now theres more chance of bumpsteer. Had the spindles been dropped the tie rods coulda remained in stock location as designed. OH well offtopic.
hella f*cking bumpsteer :mav2:

·
Registered
125 Posts
hella f*cking bumpsteer :mav2:
ya i get bump steer like a bitch some times....

my Bell tech BJ's were squeeking like like f'n crazy and i kept thinking it was my polyeurathane bushings in the rear for my link set up... well after taking the time to pull apart all my busings and lube them (which did nothing) i simply greased my BJ's and problem solved...

trucks silent again! wOOT!

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Ok, I was so stoked to see this thread. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Ask Rangerbob, he heard it when we were cruising last weekend. I also have the Belltech balljoints. I have taken the grease gun to them twice already and the problem is still there. My truck sounds like shit when it creaking like that. Well this weekend when I install my coilovers I will try and lube the ball joints again, the swaybar bushings and the lower control arm bushings.

But like your truck, its only on the drivers side. Well I hope this will resolve this pain in my ass. But the only caveat I have, is I KNOW that my front shocks/struts are blown for sure. So that might be adding to the problem

Haha....you can say fuck on this forum:bang:

Jeremy

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess I never updated this thread....

I greased them again and it solved all of the creaking. I just kept pumping more grease in there until most of the old grease oozed out and was replaced with the new fresh grease.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Hey 1badI5, how are you gonna grease your control arm bushings and sway bar bushings we don't have zerks for that.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Well the sway bar will be easy, I will just unbolt the bushings and regrease them. As for the lower control arms, I guess I can try and do what rrcn did and take the wd40 to them. When the theres a will, there a way. I must find it, I'm tired of my rado sounding like some old beat up Ford:dawg:

Jeremy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well the sway bar will be easy, I will just unbolt the bushings and regrease them. As for the lower control arms, I guess I can try and do what rrcn did and take the wd40 to them. When the theres a will, there a way. I must find it, I'm tired of my rado sounding like some old beat up Ford:dawg:

Jeremy
don't WD40 any bushings... use white lithium grease for any polyurethane bushings on vehicles. you can buy it in a spray can at Autozone for like $5 i think.

it works WONDERS on bushings, lasts alot longer, and doesnt harm them at all!!!

just thought i'd let you know.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Thanks for the heads up there C6. Yeah I'm going to try that now. I got the Belltech coilovers in this weekend and that solved the the creaking for the most part.

Only one problem though. The bolts to the endlinks for the sway bar broke off while reinstalling it. Can you say WTF!!! Shit happens and stuff breaks...it happens. So I'm without the sway bar right now. Even w/o it the truck handles amazing. Can't wait to get the sway bar back in and take it for a cruise.

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts