Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my drivers side CV is beginning to give out... and given the abuse ive put them through and the age on the truck, i want to replace both of them now and just save one of the old ones as a spare.

question is, are the "replacement" CV's like the "Cardone" listed on Rockauto reliable?? I have 0 experience with the replacing these on the truck since ive never had an issue with them, but the price difference between the OE equipment Acdelco and the Cardone is ridiculous!!!

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1442034,parttype,2288

Suggestions???

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
The $38 ones, I even bought a spare that's sitting in my basement because I didn't know how long that price would last and it said the 3 I bought were the last in stock at the time a couple years ago.

·
Nipple
6,350 Posts
question is, are the "replacement" CV's like the "Cardone" listed on Rockauto reliable???
In my experience, FUCK NO! I've blown through boots on these things like mad, then they get ruined. This issue is in the boots though. They use a boot that does not have enough pleats in them, and they are stretched beyond their limit with even a light TB crank. The OEM shafts on the other hand have boots with many pleats and a lot of stretch. I haven't had to replace the OEM shaft on the right side, but have been through 4 "replacement" CVs on the left side in a couple years.

:th_s52:

So my suggestion is this:
If you purchase those other "replacement" ones like from Cardone, I would suggest replacing at least the outer boots with a better one.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my experience, FUCK NO! I've blown through boots on these things like mad, then they get ruined. This issue is in the boots though. They use a boot that does not have enough pleats in them, and they are stretched beyond their limit with even a light TB crank. The OEM shafts on the other hand have boots with many pleats and a lot of stretch. I haven't had to replace the OEM shaft on the right side, but have been through 4 "replacement" CVs on the left side in a couple years.

:th_s52:

So my suggestion is this:
If you purchase those other "replacement" ones like from Cardone, I would suggest replacing at least the outer boots with a better one.
i have an entire set of new oem boots ive never used... thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts