Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently rebuild my entire front suspension, at low speed I'm getting a small but persistent creak-creak-creak noise as the suspension travels.
I can rock the truck slightly when parked and usually get the same thing.

It was coming only from the passenger side at first, but yesterday I rocked it up-down when parked and heard a tiny bit from the driver's side also.

Between new upper arms, new lower arms bushings, and new Belltech front swaybar, how can I find the source?

I also installed the beautiful SSK spring cups, could the springs be chirping against those?

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
The creekin noise is likely present at any speed, but harder to hear at speed. If you can duplicate to noise that's half the battle in finding the source of the noise.

I had a similar issue which turned out to be a worn bushing at the top of the strut.

Switching from the SS112SDM kit to the SS110SDM resolved my squeak. Although they look that same, The SS110SDM is about an inch shorter but what really mattered was that the threads on the SS110SDM extend further down the shaft which allows you to tighten them up properly without a stack of washers.

There's more here...
http://www.355nation.net/forum/projects-build/28201-rshadds-build-journal-14.html#post1605217

Mike at Naake is sending me the SS-110-SDM kit. Mike says the 110 is about 1/2" shorther then the 112 kit. The 112 kit is typically used when the stock bushing & QA1 bushings are stacked together.

He's send me the SS-110-SDM kit out on Monday.

I also ordered a pair of front spring insulators (#11) (GM part #15910127), since I'm confident that the hole is now oblonged from wear due to not being able to tighten down the SS-112-SDM kit properally.

Granted could add a bunch of washers to the SS-112-SDM kit would be OK. The SS-110-SDK kit just seems like a better choice.

Since I change the fronts to six and set the rears at four the ride is vastly improved. I think they feel pretty good now.

Changing to the the SS110SDM kit on Sunday, but that's only to try and eliminate the squeeking. Yeah it's back to squeekin'.

I'll take some comparison shots when I change 'em.
Replaced the GM shock insulators yesterday and switched to the QA1 top stud conversion kit (#SS110SDM) kit.

The SS110SDM is about and inch shorter, but what really mattered was that the thread extend fruther down the shaft, there by allow you to tighten them up properally without a stack of washers.

I picked up the GM insulators mainly because I wanted to have them on hand in case there was some heavy wear (which there wasn't).

What we discovered was a little bit of wiggle in the top stud kit. The play in turn wore out the bushings and the shaft of the top stud kit was rubbing on the top insulator. The new top stud kit that I used fits better and we were able to get 'em tight and still have threads left on the shaft.

Worn bushings...

New bushings...

Notice how the shart has shifted...

Here you can see where the shaft was rubbin'...

Notice how the bottom thread are screwed up for over tightening and lack of threads.

A couple of other things we did was to grind down the bump a bit more to gain some clearance with the QA1 springs.

Hat's off to 05blackcolly (Lee) and thethein (Billy) for comin' over and giving me a hand with the install. Well... truth be told I really didn't do much at all..

The ride in to the office this morning was squeak free. Hope it lasts.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,474 Posts
I have the same problem but mine is coming from my upper arms, I recently re-installed my Barry's upper arms that I've had forever. I'm guessing I didn't use the right grease when I installed them, same thing happened when I originally put them on my first truck. I had to pull them off again and re-grease.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The creekin noise is likely present at any speed, but harder to hear at speed. If you can duplicate to noise that's half the battle in finding the source of the noise.

I had a similar issue which turned out to be a worn bushing at the top of the strut.

Switching from the SS112SDM kit to the SS110SDM resolved my squeak. Although they look that same, The SS110SDM is about an inch shorter but what really mattered was that the threads on the SS110SDM extend further down the shaft which allows you to tighten them up properly without a stack of washers.

There's more here...
http://www.355nation.net/forum/projects-build/28201-rshadds-build-journal-14.html#post1605217
Thanks for that.

I actually do have that QA1 part (SS110SDM).
(I had the SS112SDM for two years, it didn't cause any noise in my case)

The QA1s (with SS110SDM) and everything, I do mean everything are new, installed less than 4 weeks ago with about 2000 miles on her since then.

For this rebuild I went through that same exploded-view diagram you posted and bought every piece, except I re-used my lower arms, with new bushings and lower balljoint.
I even replaced most of the bolts with OEM Delco parts from Nalley.

The squeak is probably not the hubs, since I can cause it with just a small bit of rocking while parked. It isn't loud at all, but its annoying as hell.

My mechanic is the best I've ever known, and he looks out for me (I tip him well under the table after a job and he's just an all-arund great guy who loves his work and really knows his stuff).
Guess it's possible he may have neglected the necesary lube somewhere, but that would be very much not like him at all.

I sure as hell hope I don't have to have it apart again for this..
That shop is 850 miles away and I won't be back there anytime soon, if ever.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Rick what you need is a helper. One of you bounce the truck and the other feels around for the squeak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts