Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently my fuel gauge indicator has started to stay at empty on start-up. I can turn the truck off, count 10 seconds, restart the truck and function returns. It is intermittent right now. During one episode I just turned the key to the accessory position and the indicator 'excitedly wiggled' a few seconds and then settled to slightly below empty. What is this telling me? What is getting ready to fail? My truck is a 2010 and just rolled 106k miles. I am in the St. Louis, MO area where the road department uses mostly salt brine for pre-treatment and salt during snows. Any ideas or actual experiences like this? Thanks to all responses.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your battery good? Low voltage can cause those type of issues.
There is no other indication of battery problems. Truck starts fine, battery was replaced at 75k miles with the recommended AC Delco model. It does have the original post clamps from the factory. I can check those for tightness. I am hoping someone else has experienced this same issue and could pin point the exact problem. Hoping it is not the sending unit going out because of the dreaded rust issue on top of the fuel tank. I have not attempted to get in there for a look yet.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The gas gauge stepper motor in the cluster my be on the way out , or the ribbon connection on the board is burnt . If possible swap in a different cluster and see if that problem goes away . It could be the sender in the tank is failing , ethanol fuel is really hard on these components submerged in it .

·
Registered
2 Posts
These vehicles have notorious ground problems. Ever had it go into 4WD when you didn't press the button? Bad ground. Intermittent HVAC fan? Bad ground. Occasional no-start due to fuel pump not coming online? Bad ground. I've had all three of these things happen on my '04 Colorado. I have the three-volume Colorado service manual, and after a lot of studying, I discovered they have a "ground bus", where multiple electrical items are wired permanently hot with switched grounds to activate them. Crazy IMHO.

Anyway, running a ground wire from the center console (the upper one with the 4WD switch) to an actual metal body member solved all three of those problems at once. Those intermittent problems were occurring 4-5 times a month. It's now been two years without a glitch. I'm not sure where or how the gauges are grounded, but an auto-electric shop with the manuals in hand should be able to to help. Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just recently my fuel gauge indicator has started to stay at empty on start-up. I can turn the truck off, count 10 seconds, restart the truck and function returns. It is intermittent right now. During one episode I just turned the key to the accessory position and the indicator 'excitedly wiggled' a few seconds and then settled to slightly below empty. What is this telling me? What is getting ready to fail? My truck is a 2010 and just rolled 106k miles. I am in the St. Louis, MO area where the road department uses mostly salt brine for pre-treatment and salt during snows. Any ideas or actual experiences like this? Thanks to all responses.
Spaddman, did you get your problem fixed? How? My gauge registers zero and the display says "Low Fuel" I'm doing all the looking and haven't discovered anything. I'm going g to try the ground suction to see if that could be it.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oldandtired, I have not had the issue showing up for awhile, don't know why. Have not attempted any troubleshooting or fixes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Is your battery good? Low voltage can cause those type of issues.
Your right on the money with this one . I just had this happen to me . I had the bed off to replace the fuel pump and hadn't driven the truck for awhile . To my surprise when I completed the repairs my battery was too low to crank the engine . I charged the battery just enough to get it running to test the pump , next day engine cranked slow but fired up and I got the low fuel warning and needle at lowest point on scale . After running for a few minutes and the battery getting charged from the alternator my gauge is working fine .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts