Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know, before you say it. I have looked over the forum till my eyes are about to pop out! I’ve got an 06 Colly with a 5.3/4l60e and computer out of an 02 Suburban. So far I’ve managed to get the tach, temp gauge working properly. Found the wires to the fuel sender (purple and black) and hooked them up to the 5.3 computer (purple to pin 54 and black to pin 80). The gauge works, just reads backwards. I saw on another post where someone said to just reverse the wire from the sending unit. Not sure how that would work because the ohm reading would be the same either way. If anyone knows how I can fix this problem I would greatly appreciate it. Heck, as long as I’ve spent trying to figure it out I would be willing to pay for the information. If you’ve done this before, please help a brother Colorado owner out.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Unless you get a better response I would try reversing the two wires , it may be a free solution , the best kind . :unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you get a better response I would try reversing the two wires , it may be a free solution , the best kind . :unsure:
Thanks for the reply. I actually tried that and got the same results, gauge still reads backwards. I even went and bought another OEM fuel sending unit and hooked the same two wires to it and it showed the same thing, backwards. The sending unit reads 42 ohms full and 242 ohms empty. I also googled the ohms for the 2002 surburban that the computer came out of and it reads the opposite 40 ohms empty and 240 full. I’m not sure what to do to make it read right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran into this same problem in my 07 Colorado. I found the fuel tank sending units are different from 06 and newer. I solved my backwards fuel gauge reading by buying a used in tank pump from an 05 Colorado and changing out the sending units. Problem solved. If you go to the Rock Auto catalog you can see the part numbers for the 04-05 are different than later years. You can also see the large price difference between them. That's why I bought the used pump- just for it's sending unit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran into this same problem in my 07 Colorado. I found the fuel tank sending units are different from 06 and newer. I solved my backwards fuel gauge reading by buying a used in tank pump from an 05 Colorado and changing out the sending units. Problem solved. If you go to the Rock Auto catalog you can see the part numbers for the 04-05 are different than later years. You can also see the large price difference between them. That's why I bought the used pump- just for it's sending unit
I did not know that. That is some great information. I think I will give that a try and hopefully that solves my problem. Thank you for the excellent reply

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did not know that. That is some great information. I think I will give that a try and hopefully that solves my problem. Thank you for the excellent reply
Please let me know how you make out. Hope it solves your problem. Good luck to you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts