Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Fuel tank needed

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  folsom2012 
#1 ·
Need help in locating a fuel tank for my 2004 Chev Colorado pickup part #15239258.
Really would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks
Ron D.

#6 ·
I responded to your other post, but I'll respond here too. Where do you live? I have a U-Pull lot here in Savannah Georgia with 2 '04 trucks with gas tanks still in them. In great shape too. No need for salt on the roads here. I've tried shipping one to another guy here, but that's virtually impossible. You need to take a vacation and come to Savannah where it's warm and friendly! Heck, I'll even meet you at Cash & Carry auto parts and help you pull the tank!! I think the last time I looked at their big price list on the wall it said gas tanks sell for $35. The last time I got a gas tank for a different vehicle, it still had the sending unit and pump in it and they didn't charge me extra for it! Great place here in Savannah and if you come to get a gas tank, go ahead and get whatever odd other small parts you need, because they'll probably just give you the small stuff!
They have a huge "inventory reduction sale" a few times a year and you pay $50 for all you can carry!! You have to pay $3 and sign a waiver to enter the lot. You can grab a wheel barrow and go gather up all the parts you need. If you can lift all your parts up and step through the gate, it's $50 bucks! When my sons were younger and just started driving and working and picking up clunkers to drive we used to make a day of that event. It was a blast. If you have a bunch of parts, you just take the hood off of a car and load all your stuff on that and lift that up over your head! You just had to take the 2 or 3 steps to make it through the gate an you were set! If you had to have a friend help you, it was $100. I've seen guys pull a complete engine and transmission and have them haul it up to the gate with a fork lift and drop it at the gate they each grabbed one end and struggled to make it through the gate and were all set for $100. It's a cool place! They have loaner tools you can rent. They have guys that come in on the weekend with all their tools and you can pay them to help you pull parts. They're "independent contractors" and don't actually work there. Yeah, I've spent some really good quality time with my sons in that place over the years.

#7 ·
I responded to your other post, but I'll respond here too. Where do you live? I have a U-Pull lot here in Savannah Georgia with 2 '04 trucks with gas tanks still in them. In great shape too. No need for salt on the roads here. I've tried shipping one to another guy here, but that's virtually impossible. You need to take a vacation and come to Savannah where it's warm and friendly! Heck, I'll even meet you at Cash & Carry auto parts and help you pull the tank!! I think the last time I looked at their big price list on the wall it said gas tanks sell for $35. The last time I got a gas tank for a different vehicle, it still had the sending unit and pump in it and they didn't charge me extra for it! Great place here in Savannah and if you come to get a gas tank, go ahead and get whatever odd other small parts you need, because they'll probably just give you the small stuff!
They have a huge "inventory reduction sale" a few times a year and you pay $50 for all you can carry!! You have to pay $3 and sign a waiver to enter the lot. You can grab a wheel barrow and go gather up all the parts you need. If you can lift all your parts up and step through the gate, it's $50 bucks! When my sons were younger and just started driving and working and picking up clunkers to drive we used to make a day of that event. It was a blast. If you have a bunch of parts, you just take the hood off of a car and load all your stuff on that and lift that up over your head! You just had to take the 2 or 3 steps to make it through the gate an you were set! If you had to have a friend help you, it was $100. I've seen guys pull a complete engine and transmission and have them haul it up to the gate with a fork lift and drop it at the gate they each grabbed one end and struggled to make it through the gate and were all set for $100. It's a cool place! They have loaner tools you can rent. They have guys that come in on the weekend with all their tools and you can pay them to help you pull parts. They're "independent contractors" and don't actually work there. Yeah, I've spent some really good quality time with my sons in that place over the years.

Thanks for your post to me.
Does the junk yard ever pull parks and ship? My truck is not able to make the trip to pick the tank. we are about 12 hrs from that location without a vehicle to bring it back. Do
I live in NJ. Wow your offer is so Kind thank you. The pick up I have is out of commission so as nice as your offer is it won’t work. If the I wonder if I can make a suggestion if they don’t pull parks and ship do you know some one for a fee pull it and UPS it to me?
Let me know thanks
Ron

#11 ·
I used car-part.com and found one near my vacation trip. I hauled home a spare gas tank on the roof while on vacation.

It was worth it to have a spare put up in the barn when the day comes that mine rusts away at the locking ring.

You'll find one for sure but definitely ask for pictures of the locking ring area before purchasing anything. The tanks are known to rust and you might end up with another rusty one if you don't do your homework.

#12 ·
I have an LKQ here in Savannah too. They don't have any Colorado's or Canyons, and they rarely do. When they get one in, it goes to the parts puller side and by the time it makes it to the U-Pull side there's nothing left of it. So, I know you can create a "wish list" on the LKQ website and they'll notify you when they get a vehicle in that has the part you're looking for.
Good luck! I'll see if I can find a shipper tomorrow.

#17 ·
Hey All- I am in the same AWFUL GAS TANK BOAT on this. I need a tank for a 2005 Crew Cab 3.5, and no luck anywhere. Vehicle in the shop for over a week, waiting to find one. Nowhere anywhere, as all eaten by rust up here in Midwest.
What do you recommend?
ANY HELP OR POSSIBLE REPAIR POSSIBILITIES?
This is a daily driver and I am SOL without. No aftermarkets, at all? Has one part as basic as a gas tank effectively made a 15-year-old GM, highly-produced vehicle a literal extinct dinosaur? How sad is that? Making me question this vehicle in a whole new way.
Thanks in advance.

#19 ·
For anyone else in this predicament. I searched high and low for a tank, only finding either tanks where the steel ring on the tack was not in any better shape than mine or, I found one guy who had a tank with the ring in good shape. $500 plus shipping. Seems a little extreme for a 15 year old truck. Anyhow, I did come across a guy that is manufacturing aftermarket locking rings for the tanks. I have ordered one and will follow up on how well it works. If interested the item can be viewed on EBay. Just search for CANYON -COLORADO 2004-05 PLASTIC GAS TANK LOCK RING REPAIR #TR27-R

Gonna throw this up on a couple other threads so that it hopefully can be found by others in need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.