Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for these trucks to have problems with doing full lock slow turns in forward and reverse gears?? I have had mine for a year and for the first time actually needed 4x4 going out to a Maricopa residence yesterday in the rain (Was about 2 mi of Mud road out in the middle of no where) And I found that when I was in 4x4 and in reverse, the truck litterally did NOT want to move in reverse and was very loud and bitchy about moving at full lock from a stop in forward gears.

I only ask because I never once in the 3 4x4's I've owned EVER had an issue like this.

·
Registered
587 Posts
any mods or is it stock? mine does the same but i have big tires. dont think it is normal unless you are on pavement. any 4x4 will do that on pavement

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Completely stock, my dad however explained the differences between my previous 4x4's (Jeep Grand Cherokee with fulltime 4x4 and a mercedes ml 320) It has to do with the difference between a front differential and a center differential according ot him.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Normal. People call it scrubbing. It's caused by the fact that the wheels are fighting with each other instead of free-wheeling.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Dude thats normal but don't ever do that. It is not recommended that you use your 4WD on pavement in the first place and yea your basically causing the front axle to bind up and you could break shit. Never do full lock turns with the 4WD on pavement, only on gravel or dirt since the tires can break loose some in the dirt.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See learn new things every day... That's what I get for skimping on my offroad vehicle.. :D I knew I should have just bought another jeep!

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
It depens on what type of front hubs you have. Most AWD 4x4s have those hubs that have some slip it allows so this driveling binding doesn't occur. But most true optional 4x4s don't thus the driveline binding.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
ehhhhhh you just dont use it enough...... j/k then again i use mine all the time and i have never had a problem....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I know for a fact neither of my grand Cherokees did it.
Every locking diff does it. A buddy Roman has 2 Jeeps and the inline 6 `94 with the locking diff is the one he actually does the mud & snow with. The 2002 quadra has the exciting job of hauling his car carrier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts