Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 355s now have separate ECMs (engine control module) and TCMs (trans. control module). unlike the 04-07s which had both in one, PCM (powertrain control module).

noticed this when i worked on an 08 colorado today. i was going to take pics but they took it before i had the chance to.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Its weird GM even still uses PCMs to control the entire powertrain, again late with the technology. Other companies have been using seperate modules a whole buncha stuff. Im not sure how much better this is, more shit to break in my opinion.

·
Another day.....
2,704 Posts
Its weird GM even still uses PCMs to control the entire powertrain, again late with the technology. Other companies have been using seperate modules a whole buncha stuff. Im not sure how much better this is, more shit to break in my opinion.
I know there is a not whole lotta fancy things and certainly doesn`t look like whole lotta smart in tech but it`s only a truck. Trucks IMO get less attention then these new cars do. That said also trucks are meant to haul shit around and used for working. It doesn`t really bother me if it is an old school truck.

I just blurted this out dunno why but i don`t think much trucks are up to date.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I know there is a not whole lotta fancy things and certainly doesn`t look like whole lotta smart in tech but it`s only a truck. Trucks IMO get less attention then these new cars do. That said also trucks are meant to haul shit around and used for working. It doesn`t really bother me if it is an old school truck.

The new silverados have a lot of tech and innovation. But they are also the big seller. The colorado is not...so we get less attention.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ford is releasing a diesel F-150 next year due to gas consumption and better fuel mileage, that innovation, wonder how long it will take GM to do the same.

Also this is good info. . . I have an '08 what does this mean for tuning?i.e. HPTuners?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Ford is releasing a diesel F-150 next year due to gas consumption and better fuel mileage, that innovation, wonder how long it will take GM to do the same.

Also this is good info. . . I have an '08 what does this mean for tuning?i.e. HPTuners?
gm has already announced a diesel for 1500 pickups for 09 or 10

hptuners already supports the 08's...there are some different options in tuning because its a new setup but it works the same way.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Brian,

Have you had time to dig into your 08 file yet? I have done mine over for 89 octane so far, a nice improvement over OEM. The OEM shifts are real sloppy too (which is par for GM).. Those got firmed up nicely.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Brian,

Have you had time to dig into your 08 file yet? I have done mine over for 89 octane so far, a nice improvement over OEM. The OEM shifts are real sloppy too (which is par for GM).. Those got firmed up nicely.
yeah i enabled E85 and it made my truck run like ass...so I put it back, haven't changed anything since. trying to get some fuel economy readings before I start the tuning. I actually am pretty happy with the stock shift points but I agree they need to be firmed up.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
yeah i enabled E85 and it made my truck run like ass...so I put it back, haven't changed anything since. trying to get some fuel economy readings before I start the tuning. I actually am pretty happy with the stock shift points but I agree they need to be firmed up.
What are you getting for HP / TQ readings (pid) on the OEM engine file?

Any issues with 4th gear + TCC locked in at 1500 rpm or less?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
What are you getting for HP / TQ readings (pid) on the OEM engine file?

Any issues with 4th gear + TCC locked in at 1500 rpm or less?
haven't read the hp/tq

lockup brings it down to 1500 at very light throttle, but no issues when it does.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
haven't read the hp/tq

lockup brings it down to 1500 at very light throttle, but no issues when it does.
If you get the time to get those readings.. I would appreciate it. I use them on histograms with engine rpm as the y axis.

My truck did not like that one bit. The difference between Z85 2wd and Z71 4x4?? :ugh: I had to change the around and find some settings that I and the truck liked. Probably should have went back to the dealer but I have yet to find one around here that knows anything about the PCM/TCM. I do not enough patience to sit while they learn.

·
Premium Member
3,849 Posts
Yeah, I can do I-5's. No different than the I-4's really. Same computer and same perameters (up to '07 anyway).

Still want to see that '08 stock tune!! Git er done!!!
I agree that the structure is the same for the I4 and I5 but they are different and should be handled differently. There are subtle differences between them and they respond much differently to tuning from my experience.

Go get an H3 file or TBSS file if you must see it from HP's repository. Brian tried uploading one but it was too large to fit. Econo has to modify something...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts