Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 reg. cab I5 Canyon 4x4 I bought new. I currently have 37,000 miles but truck will be 8 years old in Feb. About a week ago I started getting a light and saying to service tire pressure sensors. Every time I started truck it would come on for a few miles and go out. And I knew tire pressure was ok. So I figured being almost 8 years old a battery was probably going dead in one. So I ordered all 4 new GM Delco from Amazon and took it to a tire shop and had them replaced. They said I'd need to take it to my dealership to get them programmed because they didn't have one. Well from the minute I started it the light never did come on. I took it to dealership any way and had them check them and the service manager was scratching his head saying they were programmed. That he'd never seen where they immediately programmed themselves as all 4 of mine did.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea they will supposedly activate and program after driving a few miles. The tire shop told me that. I go to this one cause I have factory chrome wheels and he is extremely careful not to scratch or scuff any of them if I need tire work done such as new tires. But yea I didn't have to drive any distance, the light just never came on as though they were activated and programmed immediately. The dealership was about 3 miles from the tire shop.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
At one point, I had to use a guy from work stockers, my truck recognized them as if they were mine. When I went back to my wheels it accepted them, never got the service TPMS message.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
We have a snapon tpms tool at work to re program and and such. But almost all cars any tpms sensor from any parts supplier be it dealer or autozone 80% they either recognize themselves after a few miles or right when u start the vehicle. Provided you get one for your make and model of course

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Yeah if you replace it with a proper sensor there is no need for programming. It's just a wireless chip that activates at a certain pressure range and when it falls out it shuts off and the computer loses the signal and kicks the warning.

The newer vehicles that actually measure the pressure on the dash are more in depth and most require programming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts