Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well do they hold up? I did one burnout in my V8 crew cab in the 3 years of ownership. And found out its a one wheel wonder.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
How well do they hold up? I did one burnout in my V8 crew cab in the 3 years of ownership. And found out its a one wheel wonder.
Weird. I have never had that "one wheel wonder" experience since owning this truck...

I had an s10 with 3.42's so I know what that feels like...

Are you sure your G80 is engaging correctly? I have also climbed little dirt mounds in my yard in 2WD and gotten a rear wheel off the ground and still been able to continue
WP_20140715_001.jpg

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
I rarely do them......because good performance tires are to pricey to smoke lol.........but on the rare occasions I have.....I go big.

This was a 1, 2 and iinto 3rd gear burn out. I have no issues with my G80; note I have owned the truck since new

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weird. I have never had that "one wheel wonder" experience since owning this truck...

I had an s10 with 3.42's so I know what that feels like...

Are you sure your G80 is engaging correctly? I have also climbed little dirt mounds in my yard in 2WD and gotten a rear wheel off the ground and still been able to continue
View attachment 183881
I remember seeing the right wheel spin, Last year when I got stuck in the snow, the right wheel spun while the left slowly turning. But I'll do a burnout again to confirm.

·
I like beer
2,775 Posts
Do you have traction control? Turn it off. It applies braking to the wheel that spins.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have traction control? Turn it off. It applies braking to the wheel that spins.
Yes, I will shut it off and stabitrak too. I keep forgetting to shut it off. Can the G80's hold up?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know, just don't want to be driving one day and have the diff go on me. Due to excessive burnouts.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Good to know, just don't want to be driving one day and have the diff go on me. Due to excessive burnouts.
You will burn rotors, u-joints, pads, tires, clutch packs, transmission parts, but generally the differential isn't the "weakest link." It is designed that way on purpose.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You will burn rotors, u-joints, pads, tires, clutch packs, transmission parts, but generally the differential isn't the "weakest link." It is designed that way on purpose.
You are 100% correct. But its my 1st burnout in 3 years of ownership. And I don't plan on doing it again for a very long time.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Re-read my post

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,553 Posts
I have done my share of burn outs the rear is pretty strong and both tires do spin. I have gone through a set of tires and a clutch plus u joints and yes a rear but i had fun doing it the rear was the last to go but i do have a stick shift and big 18 inch rims, but like i said before i had fun but i am much tammer now. Just my 2 cents worth of info

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
Just keep in mind........excessive wear and tear will ultimately cause moving parts to fail at some point.........never at a convenient time

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,553 Posts
you are so right, the rear went in jersey had my brother come and get me with his trailer a big bummer

·
Dont let the Nation die
2005 GMC Canyon z71 SLE 4x4 3.5L
15,947 Posts
Since it hasnt been brought up, do you actually have the g80? Does it say "G80" on the glove box sticker? and, the g80's have been know to die under abuse. the clutches in them can wear out. and they granade and explode, so to speak, inside the axle housing.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts