Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
So we swap R&P and bearings that we have onto this carrier and bam we have a G80?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pinion stays in the housing. Swap your ring gear over, and install it. Unless it either has no bearings, or there's something visibly wrong with them, I'd just use it as-is. The bearings on the carrier almost never wear out.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Bearing to bearing complete less your ring gear. Would need set up but it's the cheapest way to get a locker into your truck with an open diff.
so I wouldn't have to swap bearings? Would it need to be re-shimmed potentially (for backlash)?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
I am very interested in this. Just waiting to hear from a some people that may be able to help me install it.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
this is a very simple, yet somewhat easy mod to get that double tire fire action(if you got enough HP that is). I installed the same from ebay off of a junked 355 and have been pounding on it with a turbo for almost 2yrs/12k miles. its nice in the winter too for us 2wd guys! I did pull off the old bearings and press new ones in with new matching races as well since the used unit was already out . swapped my ring over, put her back in with the old shims and have had ZERO issues. make sure to used the right gear oil, synthetic is even better and make sure to properly torque the ring gear bolts the right way!! took me 2.5hrs

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,273 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts